Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help

need help

My daughter call me today she having a problem with her control panel she running windows me she can't access it when she trys to this comes up error: 29 unspecified error does anybody know what this means it start when she installed aol 9.0.
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

START> RUN>Regedit
    GO to
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer"
    In the right side were the values are displayd if there is a value of "NoControlPanel" delete it. Close Regedit and restart your computer.
    This usually fixes the problem.

***i was talking with a friend in my MSN while respondig to your thread and he told me after i finish posting that Error 29 is also related to WINDOWS files that are damaged or corrupted. If you continue having problems with that error try installing win me on top of your current win me this could be done by going to C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS folder and double click SETUP.EXE****

GrApHiCTrOn

Thanks thats what i told her to do.

cause it's hard explaining things to her on the phone sometimes she act like a lol, but anyway thanks for your help
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

Ah I see the problem, windows me and aol. Only solution is to format / install the tux.

Originally posted here by The3ntropy
    Ah I see the problem, windows me and aol. Only solution is to format / install the tux.
    ... Not to mention a real ISP
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Banned
    Originally posted here by The3ntropy
    Just curious, do they make AOL for Linux...?

Just curious, do they make AOL for Linux...?
    AOL doesn't support it... and they won't help you if you have problems (so I'm told)... but there are ways to connect to AOL via linux.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html

There is more than one solution... this is just an example.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    Ahh.. I see... so there is no 'Offical AOL For Linux' .. I'm not suprised either, due to the fact that most people who run Linux are smart enough not to use AOL.

cdkj, AOL 9 is probably just a general problem for any computer (no offense hon!).

The other week I had a computer user where their computer would boot up with error after error after error, which seemed to start only after installing AOL 8. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, then that crashed Windows. So I tried fixing Windows.. that only pissed the computer off. After about 2 days of work and a good format/reload and using AOL 7, it finally worked!

I know AOL told another client of mine that AOL 8.0 was not something that worked well with Windows ME. He had put it on his computer, and it gave him all these screwy text issues when printing. Then he had some other problem (which I can't even remember now) when trying to go back to AOL 7. Finally after installing AOL (both versions) and having like 4 (seriously 4) different copies on the computer... AND using AOL 7.0, the entire system worked. But the next day he went out and got cable =)

So you might be in for a fight either way, AOL and ME sound like they don't play well together. Hope everything works smoothly for you though!

Just letting you know...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Hey, maybe I should start an open source AOL client and call it LOL!
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision