Help with the MBR

Thread: Help with the MBR

Memphis, TN

Help with the MBR

Ok I recently had a probelm on a WD hard drive where I installed XP pro on one partition, and RH Linux on the other. I uninstalled Linux but then the computer wouldn't boot because of the master boot record. I came to you people to help me, and you guys said to fdisk /mbr I think, or maybe it was format /mbr, but I didn't listen to you. I installed windows on the linux partition which fixed my problem, however everytime I start up my computer I'm asked which windows I want to start up.

I finally got tired of this and formatted the one partition leaving me with only one copy of windows on my whole HD. However when I bootup it still asks me which OS do I want to boot to even though there is only one OS. The current OS is XP Pro. How do I get rid of this message while still leaving my current windows install intact.

I promise I will listen.

you could try the format or fdisk /mbr

there is another solution that may or may not work for you, in XP go to your system options thru control panel, then click the advanced tab, then go to startup and recovery, then click edit on the window that pops up to manually edit the startup options, you'll probly see something like windows xp professional /fastdetect and maybe something else there too, just remove the other lines that refer to another copy of the OS or a different copy of the OS

here is a sample of mine to give you an idea of what you should have:

[boot loader]
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

where my default parttion is drive C

hope this helps you out