Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Windows XP

Good tut. Very helpful
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

It is nice information
    I dont know if anyone noticed but I recently worte a tutorial about intergrating service packs into a bootable cd.
    Even though I wrote it with Win2k in mind the technique is also aplicable to Windows XP.
    Anyway you can read it at the folowing link:

Service Pack Integration

Cheers and keep sharing knowledge !
    noODle

I format and reinstall XP pro every couple of weeks ( cause i have a tendency to collect too much crap) I use the 6 floppy sytem and then the cd. I have never had a problem--if i may make a suggestion,,don't allow auto updates as M$ updates are 80% fluff that you don't need for security or stabilization you can disable (I learned this here on another post) auto updates by going to control panel click on administrative tools, then on services then services are listed alphabetecically <<(spelt wrong) highlight, choose properties and change to manual---then when you update you can pick and choose your updates.
    as an aside this is where you also can disable "messenger" to stop those annoying popup ads
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Good point about auto update. But my only thought is for those who do not know much about computers or want to take the time and research every secrity update M$ puts out, it's better to be safe than sorry. Thats just my thinking on that matter.

And yes that's a good point whichI forgot to add, if you would like to stop those darn popup ads, try the following:

Originally posted here by retfarcratS
    I am going to take a stab at this...

Right Click My Computer
    Select Manage
    Expand Servies and Applications
    Highlight Services
    Find "Messenger"
    Right click and Stop
    Also, set it to manual so it will not start again

Humbly,
    retfarcratS
    Your mate...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

hey! You had better do your research on anything M$ wants to put in your 'puter without your knowledge, unless of course you hold that M$'s integrity and truthfulness is what made them such a giant
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool