Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Windows XP

Post Installing Windows XP

This isn't something I wrote, just wanted to say that up front. I was just talking to someone the other day that needed instructions on how to install Windows XP. Of course AO is the first place I came to in my search, and actually only found installation instructions for many versions of *nix. So I got to thinking that maybe we need instructions here for other operating systems also.

This is for those of you who are not going to make the switch and are happy with Windows XP.

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/xp-install/

This is the link I found while searching the web for instructions. There actually were not all that many out there that I really found very helpful. Dan "Tweak Monkey" Kennedy from Tweak3d.net though seemed to follow the typical format procedure that I follow. So I thought instead of writing (ha yeah right, I only type anymore) my entire procedure down, I would just share this link with you and make a few comments on top of what Dan was saying.

Here's what I thought I should add:

+ On page 4 (Choosing Your Partition): I would not use the FAT file system if you are doing a clean install. I use NTFS all the time and have not really run into any compatibility problems with it.

Though if you are upgrading your computer from Windows 98SE or below, or simply do not want to loose information on the drive, I would use the option of not to modify the current file system. Choosing any other option will format the drive.

But if you are installing Windows XP due to a virus, I would suggest that you backup your information before hand (on a CD which you can scan for viruses later and not have to worry about) and delete the current partition, then create a new partition and install Windows XP from there. The reason I say to delete the partition is because that way you can be 99.9% sure that you have taken care of any virus that you might have on your computer.

+ On Page 5 (More Options): I would also like to add that you should really set something for your Administrator password. This account does not typically show up on the front login screen if you use the new XP look and also have 1 or more other accounts created besides the administrator account. But leaving this password blank is a security hazard, due to the fact that all you have to do at the XP login screen is hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to get the old user name and password login box. Then all someone would have to do would be type in "Administrator" (without the quotes of course) and could log into your computer and have full access.

Of course the "person" would have to have direct access to your computer (unless remote desktop is setup), but parents should know that kids these days are picking up more and more on all the little tricks of getting around security these days. So it's just a thought.

+ On page 6 (Welcome to Windows): Yes you can skip the Windows Activation, but (as Windows will remind you) you only have 14 days to activate Windows. If you do not activate Windows in that time period, you will not be able to log in after 14 days. Whenever you try logging into your computer Windows will force you right into the activation process. This is just a tip for anyone who might be "sharing" Windows CDs or registration keys.

+ On page 7 (Windows Update): This is kind of an area where you might want to do research even before formatting your computer (unless you will have access to a computer while yours is being formatted). The reason I say this is because I would do some research on updates for Windows that you are not sure about or don't know.

There has been great debate on the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) update, as with some others. So you might want to take your time and read through what information you can find online. Google is always a good search engine for doing research, but if you want you can always "trust" Microsoft's website on "useful" information on their products.

But I would also agree with doing driver updates. This usually are updates that the company gives Microsoft to put on the update site for easy-of-use to the user. That way all your hardware drivers can be up-to-date; making your computer perform at its top performance.

+ After updating Windows (which should be the first thing done after the installation process is over) I would strongly recommend installing your anti virus software and updating that. That way you won't (hopefully) get any viruses if you are recovering from an infection. Plus you always want to have anti virus software on your computer before you really try installing anything, JUST INCASE it might be infected.

I hope I have helped some people out there with this tutorial post! This is my first tutorial post so if there is anyone who thinks I should add/change/delete anything, please let me know!

Your AO Mate...
    ~AciDriveHB
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Not so much a fan of winXP but a lot of people use it and I have to instal it at times.

Great tut man, now I know where to go when I need to refer back to a few specifics.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Great link. ive heard of a few people around that have been having trouble installing XP so i will definitly direct them to this link.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Actually it was because of ShOrTi's problems with XP and her thinking of formatting that actually got me started. She asked if I could write a instructions, or I thought I would do better and actually present this as a tutorial. I'm glad I'm getting good reviews, kind of nervous on the first tutorial post!

Thanks guys...
    ~AciD
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

Stupid me, I always thought when installing any windows version, the speed of it installing was only limited to how fast you could click [next]. So there are actually steps you tell me, hmmm, interesting.

Heheh The3ntropy I have thought that way a few times when doing a install for people and myself

Hmmm....makes you think. Whenever I've installed XP it seems to be almost entirely automatic unless you want to make some changes to the normal configuration. I never thought there would be much for someone to write about except for some type of common problem.

But the SP1 is a good mention. I've tried installing it twice. And both times it screwed up my system. I'm living without it. But then I'll be using SuSe Linux soon.
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Generally it is an automated install. Though there are points at which you have to enter information (like computer name or workground name) that might confuse someone.

I agree totally with you about SP1. I do all the updates by hand myself. Which these days kind of is a drag seeing as they put a limit on the download speed of the updates. I use to be able to download 20MB of updates off the update server in under 30 seconds. Good old times...

Enjoy the move to SuSe, I think I will be sticking with Windows for awhile. I have other computers that I will install *inx on sometime!

~AciD
    [/shadow]

XP ........ makes me sick

First off, pretty good information post for those who've not had success when installing XP. Just as in Win2k pro, automated installs are easily set up with the use of a .sif automated install boot disk. It's pretty straight-forward. A more advanced post might be 'security configuration in XP', or something like that. XP was very insecure before SP1 (which was a great service pack BTW) but if you learn to configure all the services properly it's pretty tight. Just a head's up for anyone who cares: beware of the user accounts that Windows XP pro creates by default. Just go into computer management and check out the users; helpassistant and guest (which I easily learnt to enable through WMI). Seriously, disable 'allow this PC to accept/send remote invitations'. Also, don't rely on that terrible built-in firewall, it leaves port 139 open sometimes(i learnt first-hand if you know what i mean). I used Sygate personal firewall; it's not really that advanced, if you know the difference between UDP and ICMP you'll be fine. I wrote a tutorial on Securing Windows XP last year sometime, but i gotta write a new one. I totally forgot what my point was gonna be......

LONG LIVE APT-GET
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    \"First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women\"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------