Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gcc help needed

gcc help needed

hellooo every one

friends when i try even a simple program comilation with gcc like
    #gcc a.c
    it states

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory

i am unable to locate the package `as`...pls help me in this regard i want to remove this error as it doesnt allow gcc to make executables ... and i need to from a source executables badly...
    i cant afford reinstallation of RH 7.3..the os used....may be some one @ AO helps me...lokking @ AO for help buddies.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

try gcc -o <filename> <file name.c> or a simple make a
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

same problem exists

[root@local root]# gcc -o a a.c
    gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
    [root@local root]# make a
    cc a.c -o a
    cc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
    make: *** [a] Error 1
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Have you tried up-dating gcc ?
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

gcc -v shows

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
    gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)

this is the same that comes bundeled with RH 7.3...it worx fine on other m/cs but i think in installation i have left some package....

Havent used gcc in a while, sounds like the file as.exe is either missing or cannot be found in your path:

from http://sunsite.nus.edu.sg/solaris_2.5/faq.html#q4

The 'as' program can be found in the directory
    /usr/ccs/bin/

You will need to add this to your UNIX PATH. If you cannot find this in the above directory, you may not have installed all of the Sun packages. See the next question also.

EDIT: Ok as.exe is an assembler used by cc (gcc) and should be found in the binutils rpm package, installed ls & as should be located in usr/bin and this should also apear in your $PATH

Strange.

Several things:

- as is not in /usr/ccs/bin (that directory is only used on some other types of Unix IIRC)
    - as is not called "as.exe". Unix executables do not usually end with .exe (although they're not forbidden from doing so)
    - as should be installed by default in /usr/bin/as in Redhat 7.3

As the error message suggests, there really is an installation problem.

The package containing /usr/bin/as is "binutils". However it should normally be installed if gcc is.

Try reinstalling the binutils package. If that doesn't help, then maybe you've managed to break something. Did you install anything without respecting dependencies?

Slarty

er0k
    dude.. gcc 2.96 is the worst version to date. Incompatible with gtk+2, etc etc

What i would do, since its so risky to try and recompile gcc, i would back up what i need and install a good distro, like slack 9 :P

well several things to clear up...buddies no re installtion... i am in a big FIX....sorry erOK .....binutils is installed... all dependencies honoured....i would try to reinstall binutils....well salatry infact what so ever be the mistakes of journey....he has helped....he deserves appriciation....

installing binutils have helped........but again a new problem has crept in.....
    {seems to be ....every prob has a sol. and for every sol. there exists another prob.......getting true to larger extent...}

now gcc says

/usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

i have checked with the journey's link...i installed byacc...and flex...but none helps....
    i look @ gcc FAQ...no listing....now looking @ AO