Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking ip addresses

thinking ip addresses

hi all,

can anyone tell me....

how can i know the ip address of any website currently opened in browser?
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ping www.thewebsite.com will resolve the address for you.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    I'm not positive but you can either do a whois on that website or you can ping it... correct me if I'm wrong someone.

= Cheers, jag291 =

thanx people for instant reply.

well, ping is not working neither nslookup,tracert,telnet or any such command.

first let me tell u config of my system,

i work on a public computer which is w2k workstation attached to w2k server,on user accounts. i`m not sure there may be firewall at the back. as i don`t have any admin priviledges i cannot change any of the settings except which r allowed to users.

i tried to ping on www.yahoo.com(say) but it showed "unknown host message".
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

A firewall is definetly at hand. The reason I conclude is that you CAN access yahoo over port 80 I assume but your firewall is disabling echo packets. My suggestion is...while connected to the website on IE or whatever, run netstat and check for you connections on port 80. Naturally, one of the addresses has to correlate to the website.

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Unknown host means that it does not resolve through DNS. That being the case you got there by a redirection from somewhere else. Go back to the point that you entered this site from and try pinging that domain name. If it pings look at the link that took you to the page you want to find out about. Viewing the source may show you something like http://192.168.1.1/index.html If it does then you know the IP of the site. If it doesn't then the next page is probably doing an auto redirect. You need to capture that page and examin the source.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

hi scat,

i tried netstat -an.

but found 0.0.0.0 as ip address on local port 80. what is this happening, i really dont understand.
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

Banned
    Stupid question: Are you doing this while online?

See my son....if you are online, DNS must be working. Now instead on doing an "-an" switch on netstat, Just do a "netstat" and any 'active connections will show up. The key here is...you must be connected to the site...via IE. Hope that helps....

[edit]
    If you are using the 2k kernel...it doesn't show as port '80' it displays 'http'

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

jaguar ,

to u this question may sound just stupid but to me i say it is damn stupid( out of dumb head, that is what i say, as a newbie).

but believe me this thing have troubled me since last couple of days.

i`ve tried all what i know about ping,netstat, tracert, telnet, etc with zero outcome then only ive posted this question on AO.
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE