Thread: Weird pc problem, need help

Weird pc problem, need help

Well two weeks ago i formated my hard drive. Installed win xp pro.
    Couple of days later my computer disconnected from the internet and my mouse stopped working at the same time. This started getting more frequent and now well since last night its happening every 30 mins or so.
    the modem is a usb speedstream and my mouse is an optical usb wheel mouse.
    Its as if my usb ports stop working all of a sudden, but theres still power cause my modem is on and the red light under the mouse is on.
    I have no idea whats wrong, can anyone help me on this one.
    thanks for your attention

Do you have any antivirus software, and if you do is it up to date.?

Can you plug your modem in via the network card in your computer.?

The only other thing that I can really think of is that you might have a virus on your PC. Make sure your AV is updated.

One other thing. You might try uninstalling your USB drivers from the Device Manager then reinstalling them. Maybe somehow your drivers became corrupted.

Answer those questions, and tell us what you find, and I"ll try to get you going if that doesn't work.
    =

Whoa cheyenne... hold up, something else to check first

Project I'd be betting that the PC is trying to power down your usb hub. Check to ensure that the USB hub isn't powering down automatically go to, control panel > system > device manager > USB controllers ... expland the tree and right click on the USB root hub select properties and go to power management. uncheck the box that says 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

if the box is checked that will be where the problem lies. let us know how you get on

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Thanks Zonewalker, forgot about that option, been working on computers nonstop lately.

Project, if that doesn't work try some of my steps.
    =

Thanks guys
    i checked what you said zonewalker and you where right, the option 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' was checked.
    I dont know yet if that did the trick, but ill know pretty soon i guess.
    If it dosent work well ill let you know.
    Thanks for your help.
    And ya im running norton systemworks 2003 and i keep it updated
    Thanks.

Ahh... good to hear that Project - just one thing though... I'm not sure how many root hubs you have listed on your PC (I have 4 on mine for example) - did you disable the power management on all of them?

I only ask because I can never tell which one of my root hubs is in use by which device (not that it matters anymore cos all of mine are in use these days) - so unless you know which hub is being used by the modem and/or mouse I'd just disable power management on all of the root hubs.

Z

PS Cheyenne... no worries mate it happens to all of us... take some R&R
    PPS Project .. would be interested to know how it goes, PM me if you like
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

hmmm now i know what to do with my other comp if my usb modem stops workin
    c m i y c

Hey guys,
    well everything was fine until yesterday, it started doing the same thing again.
    Once last night an twice today.
    Hope you guys can help me again with this.

Have you tried updating your usb to 2.0? Also, some systems, if you do not load the USB fix ion the right order,
    (ie) ASUSP4Pe, if you load the update fix, from MS, then you have to go back and load the USB drivers from the Manufacturers CD, then close and reload the machine, the USB stops working.
    This may be what happened with yours. I hope this will be of help and service.