Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Which One?!

HELP! Which One?!

I want to download the new Internet Explorer security patch at:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...29/default.asp - but im not sure which one I should download! lol

It asks me if I would like to download either:

Internet Explorer 6 SP1

Internet Explorer 6 SP1 for Windows XP SP1 64-bit Edition

Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP

I'm currently using Windows XP Home (Version 5.1.2600) & Internet Explorer 6 (Version 6.0.2600.0000)

So which one should I download? And whats the difference?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna guess
    > go for the IE 6 for WinXP

btw- Summer is a pretty name
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Im glad that you stay on top of Microsoft's security bulletins, but might I suggest that just getting all of the updates from the "Critical Updates and Service Packs" section of Windows Update will update all of the neccessary components germane to your Windows installation. Although, if your using XP Home, its just about pointless to try to secure your OS anyway. Sorry.
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You may want to open your browser and select HELP --> ABOUT just to verify which build of IE you have. That would be the safest way to go. I know that there is an SP1 for IE for XP so just give it a quick check before you install the patch. Hmmmm, although that would be a great test to see what happens if you apply the wrong patch......

Seriously, verify your version then go get the patch.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

It may be safest just to download IE 6 for win xp, seeing as you have the xp home edition, and i think IE 6 SP1 is a patched version. I hope you read this.

[pong]-BD]Hobbit[/pong]
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=442
    You need people of intelligence on this sort of quest...

Originally posted here by tampabay420
    btw- Summer is a pretty name
    tampabay420, Was that a line????
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Banned
    I'll give you something better to download... its called Mozilla... its an open source browser and its even better than IE... I started using it about 5 days ago and I can't stop ... you can find it at www.mozilla.org

Thank you all for your suggestions/input!

I'm guessing I should either download the "Internet Explorer 6 SP1 for Windows XP SP1 64-bit Edition" OR "Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP" - but whats the difference between these two? I'm guessing one is for 32bit and the other is for 64bit - but which one should i choose? I dont wanna download the wrong one and screw up anything lol

BTW - Thanks tampabay420 (i think so too)

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You don't want the 64 bit edition, especially if you have XP home. I'm sure that unexpected results will occur if you try to install that version (that is, if MS doesn't have a built in pre install check).
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Chances are the "Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP" is a 128bit strength (not 32). Obviously you want the higher strength cipher, but if you want to check which one you are running now, open IE and go to help/about internet explorer. It tells you a few details of the version you are running now, including the cipher stength (2nd line down). Chances are you'll be using 128bit already, so download the "Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP" patch.

Hope I was of some help.
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs