Thread: eth0 Cable Issue

Question eth0 Cable Issue

I had recently ordered cable service for my house. Just to be sure it was working , i tested it out on my box running XP. Then now since I want to set it up on my Linux Box , i decided to do a fresh install. I installed a fresh install of Mandrake Linux 9.0. I installed The net gear ethernet card that i had purchased and i was ready to roll. When the installation went about it had found the right drivers for the card , and i had configured a netmask of 255.255.255.0 , which is the appropriate setting. Then I configured it to get it's own ip address and start it at boot time , via dhcp. I've researched everything , the card supports linux. But one thing i thought i might have done wrong was that i just set my hostname to the default localhost.localdomain. So when I rebooted and it loaded everything and when it went to load eth0 , it just hangs , and sais that it can't find appropriate ip information . I checked ifconfig and the only thing in the list is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 , hmm im not sure what i've done wrong , because i can't seem to make a cable connection. Does someone want to help me in what i might have done wrong here ?
    Thanks.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

I don't use mandrake much so would not be able to help you there, but the loopback address refers to your own machine, and is used to send packets to itself, sounds wierd but is required. As you seeing loopback would probably figure out, that needs to stay 127.0.0.1 or you will have a bigger problem getting on the net. As for what you are doing wrong, I will let someone else take a poke at it, I don't want to lead ya in the wrong direction.

Make sure the driver for the card is loaded, I know I had trouble with mine... [I know it sounds stupid ]
    /\\

I used mandrake 9.1 for a while with an SMC EZ card and when i installed it, it found the card itself. One thing you might wanna try, is unplugging the modem for about 60 seconds then plugging it back in, then boot the computer with Linux. Iv never had to install drivers before with Linux so Im not sure if you were following along with directions, but when I install it finds the card and does all that itself with no probs. Anyway allowing the modem to reset with that 60 second unplug might help you out. Reply if this doesnt work so we can try again ok?

PS: Call your ISP. When I had trouble getting online once, I called them up and they were more than happy to not only help but if something didnt work they sent someone out to make sure it did work

if your using dhcp why would you set the netmask?
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

ok, if you are running DHCP as DS said, there should be no reason why you would have to set a netmask. You only need to config those if you are using static IP addressing, and unless your using a router or your ISP has decided for whatever reason to assign a static IP then there should be no reason you need to enter any static IP information. So what you need to do is go here:
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/doc/...onnection.html

and re-config your net connection. hope this helped, take it easy.
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

Yes , well I finally got it up and working. I did what gore said by letting the modem unplug for 60 seconds. Thank you gore , you really took a load off my back with this one , and thank you everyone else for helping me with this issue.
    Thanks A lot.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Originally posted here by n01100110
    Yes , well I finally got it up and working. I did what gore said by letting the modem unplug for 60 seconds. Thank you gore , you really took a load off my back with this one , and thank you everyone else for helping me with this issue.
    Thanks A lot.
    Your welcome man. Im glad it worked.

Makes me feel good knowing I helped you out. Now that you have it online be sure to do an update. Mandrake has an admin tool and look around in there to find the thing so you can do an online update and have all securty and bug patches installed. And have fun with online tuxing