Thread: I am not sure if it is hard problem or a boot problem!

I am not sure if it is hard problem or a boot problem!

hello fellow cyberguys....

recently i started having a problem and i am sure if it is my hard drive or a boot problem and this is the situation:

in morning when i turn my pc on i get a blank screen it does not detect my OS (xp) so i let it sit like that or a minute or two and i hit the reset button in the next boot process if finds the OS and it gives multiple choices such as: 1) start window normally )start pc with last known cofiguration (something like that) 3)start safe mode or with manuel commands etc..etc...

sometimes i just let start from #1 or if it does not boot i use #2 and works i went to the advanced cofiguration for start and recover and everythin looks fine...

the bios detects my hd and i never get a message error so i am wonder what could be the problem if any one knows any about this problem well your help will be greatly appreciated!

twister

If you are getting the dreaded, operating system not found error, than more often than not your hard disk drive is rounding the final corner. Open up your case and check / verify it is plugged in tightly and there is no dust in the connection, and make sure your power supply is not over heating or sparking up or what not. But every time I have seen the operating system not found error, it has been because the hard drive was about to quit.

Now is a good time to start backing up.

Save Save Save. Backup everything you need. Be prepared for the worse.

Its one of those things that has to happen at least once. But if you HD is booting sometimes then other times it doesn't then I believe teh3ntropy is right, your HD is about to go.
    =

thanks guys...

and i forgot to mention that i purchased this maxtor hd about 10 months ago so i l will see about the 1 year warranty on it....

let me ask something else i have formatted this hd multiple times you know playing with windows xp and linux and also i installed a program call boot xp that messes with the kernel so i think that mat be part of my problem....thanks again any other ideas pls reply...

twister

Senior since the 3 dot era
    You should run the SMART test from Maxtor, and print out the output. With this output you can go (ship) to Maxtor RMA after contacting them or a reseller.

SMART indicates some errors (6 or 3 digit codes for Maxtor) you can look them up at the webiste www.maxtor.com , then you will be able to see what's wrong with your disk, if there's something wrong and SMART can detect it.