Thread: Bugged Telnet

Bugged Telnet

hi all,

i think there is some problem with my telnet...

when-ever i try to connect to a site using telnet it gives an error(s).find screen dump is below...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    C:\>telnet www.yahoo.com 80
    Connecting To www.yahoo.com...Could not open a connection to host on port 80 : Connect failed
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i`ve tried to connect to a number of sites (even which have open ports) but every time it shows the following either of two errors......
    * cannot resolve host
    *could not open a connection.............(same as above screen dump).

My System Config's r.....
    *Win2k workstation(s) on lan with Win2k server.
    *i work on "user" account but "have access to administrator account of local machine".
    *i guess there may be firewall at the back(only guess, i dont know how to detect the presence of firewall).

i tried to contact system admin, but he is a dumb fellow.

this problem have troubled me since past few days.may be with the help of geeks here i can get through it.

thanx.

-AlcatraX
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

Idea, try resolving the website's IP address with ping or whois and telnet using the IP of the machine. This might not be a telnet problem, but be a problem with your DNS.

Instead of 'telnet www.yahoo.com 80'
    Try 'telnet 66.218.71.198 80'

If this solves the problem, then there is something wrong with your DNS.

Another idea, it could be the firewall, if you don't control it. It would make perfect sense for a smart admin to disable all outbound traffic not on port 80 if it doesn't need to be there. Try contacting him again and talking 'slowly'.

Methinks it looks like it is probably a firewall blocking telnet traffic.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

thanx entropy for instant reply,

i tried many times using the resloved ip addresses but the moment i press enter, console screen goes blank with only blinking cursor.

This might not be a telnet problem, but be a problem with your DNS.
    if u be little descriptive bout the what may be the problem with the dns then i may try to get a hang of this problem.

-thanx.
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

If the console goes blank then telnet is working fine, that is what it is supposed to do. So the only problem is with your DNS it seems.

Can you browse web pages normally, if you type in www.yahoo.com in IE, does it work correctly?

i tried many times using the resloved ip addresses but the moment i press enter, console screen goes blank with only blinking cursor.
    When the screen goes blank with only a blinking cursor look at the title on the command prompt screen.
    I bet it says telnet yahoo.com.
    That means that you just telnetted into yahoo.

Watcher
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

One Who Watches is correct. When you telnet to a site with the command prompt in windows, the screen will go black, and you will not 'see' the commands you enter. But if you type some crap in and hit enter a few times, you will see that it was working fine, and that you were connected correctly.

to see your text, simply turn echo on/off echo on making your text visable. the command is echo on simple enough?