Thread: Windows filename ~ contains email address details ?

Question Windows filename ~ contains email address details ?

I wondered if anyone could kindly help me out with a query.

I have found a file on my C: drive with a name of ~ (tilde character) - I looked inside using quickview and found lots of odd characters plus email addresses from my outlook address
    book. Can any one tell me what this file is - I may be being a bit paranoid but I thought it may be a security issue. I hope I am not wasting your time posting this question here but I was not sure where else to get help. I have searched for some time but have no success. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

What is your OS, you using Fat 16?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

What is exactly the location and the name of the file? Is it on the root of your drive?
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to help -I did not expect such a quick response.(I was about to go to bed - Midnight in UK). It is appreciated.

Requested Info:

The OS is win98 the file location is C:\~ the format is FAT32.

File properties
    MS-DOS name is ~
    File attribute is ticked for ARCHIVE
    Size 183kb

The file contents can be viewed - as stated previously - it list contact for my Wifes contact list and my contact list (Outlook express address book).

I hope this is what you wanted - please let me know if you need any other details.

And thanks again for your help.

Ninja Code Monkey
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Brilliant - not only do I get quick responses I also got an answer - fantastic. I was concerned that it was a security problem but Juridian's link has explained the problem - I can sleep easy now (unless my 2 and 3 year old children wake up - by the way can any one help with getting my children to sleep all night .... - only joking)

Juridian, I owe you a beer, and the bestest of luck with your MCSD I'm sure you'll do great.

Thank you all for all very much your help - good night to you all.

Adam

Good advice anyway: Switch from Outlook if u can. Try Eudora for example

http://www.eudora.com/

Good Luck

Ninja Code Monkey
    There was also a pretty good thread on this on the security-basics list of security focus (I think it was security-basics at least). If you need any more info you might try their archive.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Thanks for the tips.

Wish you all well.

Adam