Wireless network

Thread: Wireless network

Wireless network

Here is the scenario: My brother just moved to the house next of mine. I currently have a linksys wireless router which works in my house just fine. What hardware device should I purchase to make the wireless signal get from my house to the next house, so that we can share the connection???? The distance is about 40 metres but the problem might be the walls.
    What devices can I buy to test signal strength???
    Cat 5 cable might be cheaper but wiring through walls and stuff is gonna be a pain.

thanks for any help,

Well you can use a repeater it will make the signal reach the other house. but you do have to be aware of Wardrivers They are people who Drive around in their cars looking for WAPS Wireless access points so if you do buy a repeater please do the following. 1.Control your broadcast area. Many wireless APs (access points) let you adjust the signal strength; some even let you adjust signal direction. Begin by placing your APs as far away from exterior walls and windows as possible, then play around with signal strength so you can just barely get connections near exterior walls. This isn't enough, though. Sensitive snooping equipment can pick up wireless signals from an AP at distances of several hundred feet or more.

2. Lock each AP. A lot of people don't bother changing the defaults on their APs, and maintaining the default administrator password (like admin for Linksys products) makes your system a good target. Use a strong password to protect each AP. For tips on creating substantial passwords, go to www.pcmag.com/passwords and click on Password Dos and Don'ts.

3. Ban rogue access points. If an AP is connected to your home or office network, make sure you or the network administrator put it there. Bob in Accounting isn't likely to secure his rogue AP before he connects it. Free software like NetStumbler (www.netstumbler.com) lets you sweep for unauthorized APs.

4. Use 128-bit WEP. Passively cracking the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) security protocol is merely a nuisance to a skilled hacker using Linux freeware like AirSnort (http://airsnort.shmoo.com). Still, the protocol does at least add a layer of difficulty.

5. Use SSIDS wisely. Change the default Service Set Identifiers (SSIDs) for your APs, and don't use anything obvious like your address or company name. For corporate setups, buy APs that let you disable broadcast SSID. Intruders can use programs such as Kismet (www.kismetwireless.net) to sniff out SSIDs anyway (by observing 802.11x management frames when users associate with APs), but again, every bit of inconvenience helps.

6. Limit access rights. Chances are, not everyone in your building needs a wireless card. Once you determine who should take to the airwaves, set your APs to allow access by wireless cards with authorized MAC addresses only. Enterprising individuals can spoof MAC addresses, however, which brings us to the next tip.

7. Limit the number of user addresses. If you don't have too many users, consider limiting the maximum number of DHCP addresses the network can assign, allowing just enough to cover the users you have. Then if everyone in the group tries to connect but some can't, you know there are unauthorized log-ons.

8. Authenticate users. Install a firewall that supports VPN connectivity, and require users to log on as if they were dialing in remotely. The Linksys BEFSX41 router is a great choice for this. Tweak the settings to allow only the types of permissions that wireless users need.

Hope this doesn't confuse you

Touching on the point about wardrivers if you are careless and the access point spills out into the street keep an eye on your sidewalks wardrivers and warchalkers (the walkers) will often leave a symbol on the sidewalk or street near the access point telling about it. Also be sure to secure your computers with strong passwords.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Microsoft WAP Router

I know, a reply to an old post, but this looks like the best one for my question.

I'm partof a wireless network, on which the base station is a Microsoft MN-500

here's my situation:

Got my computer setup just fine (Microsoft M-730 PCI receiver)
    Got another computer setup fine (Microsoft M-510 USB receiver) BUT when connecting to the network from this computer on installation I noticed 2 other networks that aren't visible on my computer or the main computer using the router.

Would this be Wardrivers? (whatever they're called)

In fact, even looking through the routers settings I couldn't find the other 2 networks. so, would that computer be caught between WAPs?
    What goes up, must have been thrown!

Well, yes and no..

Wardriving scans for wireless access points around the area.
    War=I don't know what this part stands for..maybe 'wireless access r**'? lol..
    Driving= Most commonly, if there is, lets say a street or an entire block of people that are really into high tech gadgets, there probably on some sort of a wireless network yes? Well anyways.. Alot of people drive around city's and find these wireless access points as they drive, if there are any in that area. Thus, wardriving.

So..yes by the general notion of what wardriving is for, but no by the driving part lmao.

This has happened to me a couple of times, and the thing that i've seen that causes this, is not configuring your AP to transmit to the min distance needed. Lets say....theres 30m between the AP and the receiver, and the AP transmits at a distance of 50m, thus you could detect the AP if you were 20m away..
    Signature image is too tall!