Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird Email

Weird Email

i got an email from my friend saying stuff about him that he wouldn't say or that were true.( it was sent to several different people). and he use dial up. and when i looked at the originating ip it wasn't a dial up ip so i know it wasn't sent from his computer.(but it was sent from his email account) i took the originating ip and i use the antionline Ip locator to see if it was local person who was doing it and it was. same city. so i wanted to know more about this email origination. any help would be great.

Well how can you be sure that the IP address wasn't dial up? have you tried tracing your friends IP address from an email you know that came from him? That way you can make sure it came from two different places. Plus What kind of email account is it, a free type or an actual email account from an ISP provider like Adelphia or Earthlink or such?

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Question

Hmmmmm if he was using hotmail, yahoo, etc or any free e-mail service someone could've gaines access to his password.

and u said he has a dial up modem, a hacker could have got access to his dial up number

just a few thoughts

BD]Hobbit
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=442
    You need people of intelligence on this sort of quest...

if an ip is like 24.000.00.000 it's none dial up. is that right? it was a free email account it was hotmail. and the originating ip was local. and his IP from other emails were 192.000.0.00 so it wasn't is computer.

Do hotmail accounts send the originating ip or just the ip of hotmail servers? Havent had too much experience with hotmail nor would want to. Ip address has nothing to do with determining dialup the first one is a class A address and the 2nd is a class C if my memory is serving me. Some comfirmation on that little bit of info would be nice. Also the ip that you found that you said was local. are you sure it was local or the company that registered it was local? How much distance do they serve.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

i dont really want to reveal the information or the ip but for obvious reasons. all i need to know is how to find out more about the ip or a more exact location. But the email was about a person who my friend knows and i know and most all my friends. but thats the most of what i want to reveal. i hope you understand.

How many times has this subject been brought up in the last week. there is no way to "pinpoint" a location. As has been stated it will merely reveal the company that registered it. If you are really worried about it you could do a whois on the ip address and contact them about it. Also the ip address wont reveal anything personal about you or your friends just wanted to make that clear.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Do hotmail accounts send the originating ip or just the ip of hotmail servers?
    X-Originating-IP: 366.366.366.366
    Yes they do, hotmail is not anonymous.

X-Originating-IP: 366.366.366.366
    Yes they do, hotmail is not anonymous.
    I'd say that is accurate.

I would just like to add the obvious... if the sender was using a proxy or proxy chain... it is less likely that you will find the senders true address. You would instead see the proxies address...

It is not anonymous by itself.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Check the full headers in the e-mail. Read also:

http://astalavista.com/library/basic...mailHeader.zip

on how to interpret headers.
    /\\