RedHat 9 new kernel issue

Thread: RedHat 9 new kernel issue

RedHat 9 new kernel issue

I have updated from 2.4.20-8 to 2.4.20-19.9 and now my NIC driver doesn't load. Upon 'insmod bcm4400' I get something like:

This driver compiled for 2.4.20-8.

Well it tells me it's compiled for the other version... Although I did 'make' it and 'make install' under the new version. Any and all help much appreciated... I hope it's enough info...

[edit]typo[/edit]

After you recompiled it, did you reboot so it could load?
    How did you attempt to load it after you compiled it?

Did the recompile complete sucessfully?

Does it still work under your previous kernel? You should have the option at boot to choose more than one kernel...

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to the process you used to try to load it... weather you did the 'insmod bcm4400' before you compiled the new one or unloaded the other module before loading the new one... etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanx for the reply.. here goes the process

After I got the new kernel I rebooted and GRUB Loader gave me 3 options: 2 lin and one DOS. I started the new kernel and saw that there's no eth0 up [in ifconfig, I got a fail at boot time]. So I still had the tarball for the driver, I untarred it and:

make
    make install
    insmod bcm4400

At this point I got the error that the module was compiled for the old kernel. Being that I'm new to Linux I think there's some step I missed in removing the driver from the old kernel [I tried 'rmmod bcm4400' but I guess it's useless, I'm thinking if there's a file/dir to be deleted or something]
    /\\

K time for an update... I rmmod-ed the driver under 2.4.20-8 and then deleted it from /lib/modules...

Went in 2.4.20-19.9 and compiled it there... one error, something about 'unresolved characters' in the bcm4400.o file. So... delete it from here, go back in 2.4.20-8 so I can have one of the kernels with net connection at least.

Haha dreams! Upon compiling the src [yes, I deleted the folder and untarred it again] I get this nasty nasty ass error and warning list, and no driver... so not netowrk...

Any help much appreciated. I'll try to get the driver once again off the interner tomorrow and re-do all of it, but I hope to get some help from ppl here aswell. Thanx in advance.
    /\\

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Just one question.

Did you have to install a custom driver for the NIC when you first installed RH9.

If so (or possibly even if not) try searching for RH9 drivers for the NIC.

HTH

Steve

Yes it was a custom driver, as the NIC is on-board. So is the soundcard, and these two were the only things RH didn't install on its own.

I'll look and see.. thanx

[edit]

I found some drivers for the old kernel distro, but I have one question.. what's the diff between

kernel-smp-net-bcm4400-2.0.2-1@2.4.20_8.i386.rpm &
    kernel-net-bcm4400-2.0.2-1@2.4.20_8.i386.rpm ?

Could I try to use a driver for a Gentoo or Debian distro?

Oh and is it possible that I forgot to delete some files/modify some config file and that's why I can't use the driver I had in the old kernel?

[/edit]
    /\\