All my software is being cracked by hackers - something needs to be done
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All my software is being cracked by hackers - something needs to be done

All my software is being cracked by hackers - something needs to be done

I have placed 2 shareware application that were written in VB 6 up for sale on the internet. The application requires the user to send me their validation code and then I use that code to generate a registration code. I then send them the code and they type it in and it unlocks the program

Well, there is a group called "Silent Cracking Force" or SCF that has cracked both of my programs and put it on their web site. The web site is http://cracks.allseek.info/. If I was you and if you have written shareware, I would check this web site out and make sure you app is not on here.

Something has to be done to try and slow these guys down. I know it is pretty much impossible but there has to be a way.

If anyone finds that there app is being cracked by these guys then reply to this post. Also if you have any suggestions on what can be done then post that also?

Is it possible to sue for something like this? Is there any legal issues?

Something has to be done.

There is really nothing you can do. if you put something out there like that its going to be cracked. Im not sure on the suing of it since you havent said anything about it being copyrighted or patented etc...

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Your best bet is to release 'cripled' software as shareware. And have key features not even there in the shareware version. That way, they will need to download the full version directly from you. There would then be no way to 'crack' the shareware version, but then you would have to worry about people sharing the full version, so it is a never ending cat and mouse game really.

There are some very good ideas here http://www.searchlores.org/protec/protec.htm many people crack for the challenge so it is an ever going battle that will never end.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: All my software is being cracked by hackers - something needs to be done

Originally posted here by thedee
    The web site is http://cracks.allseek.info/. If I was you and if you have written shareware, I would check this web site out and make sure you app is not on here.
    Excellent plug. Ingenius way to increase hit rate. Well done

My apologies if you do have a genuine problem, but it's still an excellent plug, albeit unintentionally
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Lol i was thinking the same thing. then i thought it might be a real problem. they didnt give too much detail though.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Actually you guys, this is not a plug. I am not a hacker and I do not work for that web site. The runners of that site are a bunch of thugs.

I did figure out how they hacked my exe. In my code I do a check to see if when they hit the register button it was a success... for example

If returncode = whatever then
    'Register success
    else
    'Register failed
    endif

All they did somehow was find out where in the exe the equal operator was at and they chagned it to be <> not equal. So everything they type in will register the software except for the valid Registration code.

Banned
    Just a thought, tho when u are wrighting the program, some where in the body of the code y dont you do somthing like an if and or statment?? eg if such en such is tryed then it opens up like an internal program that will cripple there machine, i doubt thay are going to try any more "cracks" of your SW

a dum example tho ull get the idea....

if somthing.exe = accessed
    then run badboy.exe (some form of virus written to effect bios)

(a stupid example i no.)

make shoure all ur sw has ur signature on it.

Just a thought

Hmm going on the lines of Nightfalls_Girl's idea, try to get a protection against dissassembly and running with a debugger [like SoftICE] in the background. Also, if there's any algorithm for creating the number... try as much as possible to get rid of it, or alternate it.
    /\\

I'm with The3ntropy on this one.

cripleware instead of a (time) trial !!

Let's say you have a backup program, make the shareware version of it backup a maximum of 30 Mb
    Let's say you have an accounting program, make the shareware version of it calcuate to a maximum of 3000 Dollars

etc..

Ow and btw it's "All my software is being cracked by crackers"
    it's a small difference but a critical one!!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !