Microsoft's Patent Problem

Thread: Microsoft's Patent Problem

Microsoft's Patent Problem

M$ may land into deep problem.... as per this article...

Microsoft suffered utter defeat at a crucial pretrial hearing in what appears to be the highest-stakes patent litigation ever—one in which a tiny company called InterTrust Technologies claims that 85% of Microsoft's entire product line infringes its digital security patents.

full story check out here : http://www.fortune.com/fortune/techn...466180,00.html
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Old Fart
    Day-um....looks like M$ *could* really get it stuck to them this time, albeit deservedly so. I guess the big question is "Has anything original EVER come out of Redmond???"

I think not at this point....

/me sits on the sidelines tossing rocks to "David"....get that Phillistine "giant" and put him D-O-W-N!!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Holy crap, there are only 39 employees in that company, and Sony and Royal phillips bought them for $453 million! what a bunch of lucky saps. Think about it, one day you're working a dead-end job at a tiny company and the next day you own stock in a company worth $453 million. Those guys must have a horseshoes up their asses.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

M$ Karma :-)

I am in no means a M$ fan, but those articles ( the one linked above and the one it referenced ) gave no specifics as to the claims. Just because some large companies invested in the claims does not give them merit. Lawyers often times file claims they know are bogus because it is cheaper for entities to settle then to litigate. ( most lawyers seem to think THAT is the American way ).

AS far as we know from those articles it was only one judge that has ruled thus far. It could have been based M$’s attempts ( again on lawyers ) to move it quickly to another venue by failing to respond in what the judge considered a timely fashion.

Only time will tell.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I am kinda happy due to the fact that Money Gates all ready has a monopoly on the PC Market and needs to get all the crap kicked out of him.

I for one would like to see a prebuild Linux system at say Best Buy or Curcuit City.

This is nothing new anymore, anytime a company is big they are going to have other people going after them trying to get money. Now when it comes to money, I tend to think Gates is smarter than when it comes to holes in his OS. If no evidence was really given, then there is no real way of proving anything. So we will have to see how the settlement talks go.

If settlement talks fail and InterTrust prevails in court, it would be entitled to a court order halting sales of all those products.
    Now that sounds a little scary for M$. Plus what would that cause to people who already own the OSs? There's something to think about out of this whole matter

Originally posted here by strykerfenix
    I for one would like to see a prebuild Linux system at say Best Buy or Curcuit City.
    That would be nice to see, but I doubt it would ever really happen. *nix OSs are more for the advanced user, someone who has sat down and learned how to run it and knows how to use it. It wouldn't be something that would be a huge seller I think due to that fact either, even with all the *nix nuts (JUST KIDDING) out there. Also there would have to be tech support for the OS, which means you would have to find people or pay people good money to do tech support for an advanced OS... can't sell a computer out of a store and not give it some sort of tech support with the warranty.

Though on the same fact, *nix OSs don't need 2.2GHz systems to run smoothly, so older systems (like a PII 400 with 128MB of RAM) would work fine for that job. Older systems could be pulled out of storage at the big companies and could then be able to sell them. Would def be an interesting change.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Originally posted here by strykerfenix
    I am kinda happy due to the fact that Money Gates all ready has a monopoly on the PC Market and needs to get all the crap kicked out of him.

Easy to say if you aren't in tech support. It's hard enough repairing a windows system over the phone after a hapless luser has jacked it up, a linux system subjected to use/abuse by the average computer user would not be easy to fix by idiot-proxy. I once heard a colleague take 20 minutes trying to get a user to click on the start button.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

er0k
    Originally posted here by allenb1963
    Day-um....looks like M$ *could* really get it stuck to them this time, albeit deservedly so. I guess the big question is "Has anything original EVER come out of Redmond???"

I think not at this point....

/me sits on the sidelines tossing rocks to "David"....get that Phillistine "giant" and put him D-O-W-N!!!

my names david, what giant you need me to kill? :P

Too difficult to sell a *nix system to a regular user. Too damn diffcult to support. Tech support would be a pain and cost too much. Supply & demand...there are not that many *nix support people out there compared to M$. Any idiot can support M$ software while u need someone a little more tech to support a *nix system.

M$ getting sued and one judges decision is not much yet. If it doesnt cost much M$ might just settle and maybe just buy over the company and their problem is solved. Unless this gets bigger, its not that much news as people are always trying to get $ out of M$. They know they have it so might as well give it a try. In the end its the lawyers who make all the $. If M$ settles this might just get swept under the carpet.