linux from scratch

Thread: linux from scratch

Question linux from scratch

Hiya,

Ive just taken and interest in building a linux distro from scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/) and I was woundering if any one else has done this (im sure its pretty popular)

Anybody pass on any tips or advice they have learnt?

I was woundering what sort of things you did to customise your system and also with the basic think that it shows you how to do in the manual is this just text based?

cheers

i2c

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I haven't done it but I know a few who have. The first tip they suggest to me is have lots of time available. I've heard builds take between 16-36 hours.

The second was planning. Figure out what you want to do before you start and what your goal is. Also, make sure you account/list what things you want in your system so you have them rather than going to get them after you've started.

As for customization, it depends on what your goal is. I personally might give it a go with the goal being a more secure linux but still somewhat functional (reality is giving up some functionality for security, IMHO).

I believe there are a couple here who have built LFS systems but for the life of me, I can't remember who.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thanks for a guesstimation on time,

Thats the thing i dont know what i want to do with it! just wanna have a go as i think its a good way to learn the in and outs, and ive got the time now im finished for the summer

i totally agree on your statement "reality is giving up some functionality for security" I suppose the best OS (if there is such a thing) is gonna be one that does not give up the fuctionality for security and vise versa, im sceptical as to whether this will happen in a hurry!

cheers

i2c