Thread: Quick Question?

Quick Question?

I'm sure this is in the forums somewhere since there is 3+ linux discussions every day. Yet, throughout my search I couldn't find it quick. I'm going to be installing Windows XP and a linux distro dual boot on a clean hard drive. Which would be better to install first. Windows XP or Linux? Thanks for your time.
    ][ neta1o ][

windows XP, always first (IMO easier)
    most Linux distros are equiped to easily set up the dual boot...
    although i haven't had much experience with XP...

<misc> w00t! Tampa Rocks </misc>
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Thanks Tampa, I was going to install XP first but since I haven't done it before, I wanted to get AO's help.
    ][ neta1o ][

Windows XP takes control of the Boot Loader of the system, so if you install it after Linux most of the time you will have to do quite a bit of modifications to even be able to boot into Linux. Linux on the other hand plays nice with other operating systems, and it's boot loader has no problem dual, trio, +, booting.

Yeah if you ever install any Windows OS last, it is just problems. I did that once because I crashed my Windows OS on a dual boot, not even thinking, but then your Linux doesn't even seem to exsist. Just to keep in mind incase you kill it later and have to redo things.

Though posing that question as an extention to this one, how would you reinstall Windows if you were using a dual boot. Would a repair work, or would it take control of the Boot Loader after it was done?

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

There's a file in NT on the root of the main drive, that you can edit with notepad. It has a list of the OS's that are installed and which partition they're on, plus a few other details. It's fairly easy to work out what they mean. From memory you should just be able to edit this file to point to your Linux OS.

Oh and AcidDriveHB, is that a quote from hackers?
    There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    \"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.\"
    A. Sachs

Oh you mean the boot.ini file, yes you can edit that by hand. But if you are not an experienced person, it might take you some time to configure it correctly. Is that the file that is altered by *nix whenever it gets installed? IF so then I guess all you would have to do is make a backup of it. But what if there are other files that need to be changed? Not a real *nix guru here... LOL, but figure I might as well ask the obvious question.

And yes the first line of my signature is from the movie Hackers. The Pluege says it whenever he is talking about setting up the "kids" as the one who would go to jail for the virus inside the oil company's computer system.

~AciD
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

Thanks for all the information AO, I successfully installed Windows XP Professional and ASP Linux 9. It uses the ASP loader and gives me the choice of which to boot from. Hopefully I'll be on my way to learining the innerworkings of linux.
    ][ neta1o ][

...Is it true that installing Xp on a new comp is not advisable...i presently have 98 and 4 my new comp i am undecided b/w 98/2000 and XP
    Sathya

http://sathya.rediffblogs.com
    http://www.geocities.com/kaiserihind

I am not sure why installing XP on a clean hard drive would be a probem? Though what are the stats of the new computer you have? If its new by todays standards, you would be fine for installing XP. If its not, then it depends on the system stats.

~AciD
    [/shadow]