Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site Funding

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Site Funding

How is this site funded?

Has the AO community ever offered the service of its experts for commercial gain. I would imagine that it would be a good source of funds.

Any comments welcome.

Steve

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    This site is privately owned by JupiterMedia. If you click on the http://www.internet.com you can learn all about them. I believe a large portion of their "funds" is acquired through advertisement.

I don't know if their is truly an opportunity for "consultation" (at least not yet, IMHO).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    This site is privately owned by JupiterMedia. If you click on the http://www.internet.com you can learn all about them. I believe a large portion of their "funds" is acquired through advertisement.

I don't know if their is truly an opportunity for "consultation" (at least not yet, IMHO).
    Perhaps we could set up a pay pal donation button on the site for those people who would like to reward the community for the help they have received.

Might get a few $ from the truely grateful.

Just a though.

Steve

Well steve one of the things about th site that kinda makes it so well liked is the fact that it is free. I mean come on 90% of the questions taht get answered are simple the person just doesn't think about it. Now the ten 10% that are hard I personally like it when a person has exhausted all there resources and then asks a question. It makes me feel kinda good to know that there are people that actually care and it would be wrong to request that they pay for that help. I mean on the other side of it a lot of us members ask questions and asnwer questions so do you expect s to pay whe we are the very people answering the questions.

By the way Jupmed is making plenty off this baby. I don't think they would have aproblem with that idea though. LOL
    Whizkid2300

Originally posted here by steve.milner

Perhaps we could set up a pay pal donation button on the site for those people who would like to reward the community for the help they have received.

Might get a few $ from the truely grateful.

Just a though.

Steve
    Actually, if you want to thank someone the antipoints are one way to do it. It is your way to thank someone for helping out.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Originally posted here by MsMittens

Actually, if you want to thank someone the antipoints are one way to do it. It is your way to thank someone for helping out.
    Yeah, but ATM my points are worth squat, which is a good job since it seems I've just neged someone, when I intened to pos.

<sigh> Life, don't talk to me about life... </sigh>

Steve

Well Steve once you get to fifty they start to count don't feel bad think everyone has done that atleast once.

I know I have just go back and assign them points on another one of there post if your content on giving them posts, and even though your points don't count.

Poeple like hearing Thank You.

Whizkid2300

Originally posted here by steve.milner

Yeah, but ATM my points are worth squat, which is a good job since it seems I've just neged someone, when I intened to pos.

<sigh> Life, don't talk to me about life... </sigh>

Steve
    Hehehe.. actually, be glad it happened now rather than later. I've done it a few times and mine *count* (painfully too sometimes). Just send them a note and say you hit the wrong button. AFAIK, everyone understands.

And don't worry. With time, you will have enough to make a difference.

Yeah there is really no need to have a "donate" button. I mean it would help JupM out yes, but what about the people making the posts... it would get down to the fact that there would be a money war I bet. For the fact that there are people here at AO that don't like JupM, and they would not like to be going out and posting and posting and only having JupM gain the rewards... in my own opinion.

For me personally, I wouldn't care. I would think if people were making donations, that is their money and their choice. Maybe then JupM would even start going some more perks to the domain (not that I can think of any off the top of my head). For me coming here and helping out, and getting help when I ask, that's the reward in itself. All the APs I get, the perks of the "special" forum, etc are just a bonus to me.

But it's all an interesting thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

AO is free, in all meanings you can give to this term. I would understand such "contributions" if help and answers would be given by JupM staff, but it is not the case.
    We are all of us people going here for the pleasure to learn and to help others freely, without any other gain that the feeling to belong to the comunity, to speak with interesting persons about interesting stuffs, and to help occasionally when we have the knowledge to do it.

We should avoid all those sorts of money cr*p. We have already enough discord topics without searching to create more of them.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--