Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Site Funding

Originally posted here by KissCool
    We should avoid all those sorts of money cr*p. We have already enough discord topics without searching to create more of them.
    I truly agree with that!
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Okay, I think I need to add a little clarification, now I know how the site is funded.

I had assumed it was run by the 'AO Community' or a couple of founding members or similar. I had thought the fees/donations could have been used to contribute to hardware, kit, supporting the hardowking volunteer developers etc.,etc.. (I think I picked up this idea from a post about selling mugs & mouse mats or something) I wasn't actually thinking about huge wads of cash changing hands nor trying to make the whole thing commercial.

Okay now for a few more questions.

Since JupM 'own' this site, how do enhancments like the anti-point messages or <plugs own request> news feeds </plugs own request> get decided upon and developed?

What do members believe JupM's motivations for hosting this site are?

How can the members of this site best influence its development?

If anyone thinks this is gonna start a flame war ignore the message, PM me or set up a conference & I'll move there, or for that matter email:

post at stephen-milner dot me dot uk
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Ok steve it is basicly considered that Jupmed bought the website for complete profit. That's what companies do and the fact that they will change anything, they will chagne it becuase it could interfere with thre profit. I could be wrong but that is just natural Big Business ethics and rules I mean think about it if oyu can advertise make your money back and leave everything how it already was wouldn;t you don't ahve to spend any more money. So maybe it has a chance of things being different but I doubt it. That is the main reason why a lot of us have problems with funding the website besides coming because Jupmed probably doesn't care what the site looks llike. As long as the Site Membership numbers and visit numbers stay up. Nof if Jupmed in my opinion cared then maybe. But remember the people that you are getting your answers from aren't Jupmed it is us. So if you want ot pay me for helping you out save it send me a pm or if you think I deserve it give me some points.

If it starts a flame I got a key in my box I'm and I will post the key and everyone that wants to talk can come. I have a question I thought that you didn't get the ability to start a Room until you become a Junior.

Whizkid2300

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Actually, if you want to thank someone the antipoints are one way to do it. It is your way to thank someone for helping out.
    Help!

I gave out my first antipoint that counted. It was a pos & now the site is giving me greif about being unballanced. (Okay I've known that for years!).

Last time I neged someone (when it didn't count) retaliation occured, before I had chance to apologise for making a mistake. (Please note the FAQ still says anitpoints are anon.)

What are the unwritten rules for neging <sp?> someone (when I mean to do it this time) without incurring too much wrath
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Don't worry about the unbalanced bit. That will go within time.

In fact, don't stress on the antipoints. They are nice to give out and sometimes suck when you get negs but don't take them to heart.

The FAQ hasn't been updated to reflect the change done recently to remove the anonymous-ness of APs.

Give APs as you feel is appropriate.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    I have a question I thought that you didn't get the ability to start a Room until you become a Junior.
    Dunno, just apeared on my site benefits thingy.

As for starting real trouble (watch me get banned by JupM) if people don't like supporting JupM's evil financial empire Couldn't we all just move, set up another site etc.

I sort of like it here and it doesn't bother me too much that someone is making money out of this.

I'm probably just naieve though.

Well the raeson that I ask is because I thought that you go tit when you became a junior I am probably wrong oh well. As for setting up another site there are plenty. www.hackerslab.org www.hacker.com sorry my area of expertise. There are plenty of security sites. The thing about the system bitching at you forget about it whenever you are extreme it shows that.

So sit back relax and tell a joke.

whizkid2300 ..*sits back and has a drink of his Coke.*

Whizkid2300

So sit back relax and tell a joke.
    Okay, see the humour forum - Ono Balono Tales.

As long as the Site Membership numbers and visit numbers stay up.
    Actually, according to some ethics of big business in the computer industry. If you provide free services (such as AO) and put your link at the bottom of every page, then more than likely, people are going to see that link, click it, and surf the business website. Consider it like a type of site stickyness if you will.
    Not to mention. Many people seem to think that when a business offers free services (and soemtimes they offer lots of freebies) the site gains instant credibility because of the amount of people that constantly visit it on a daily basis, and those that use it and help support it.
    So just having AO on their server/s helps them advertise their business.
    TinFoilHat Linux O.o who needs more?

Well steve one of the things about th site that kinda makes it so well liked is the fact that it is free. I mean come on 90% of the questions taht get answered are simple the person just doesn't think about it. Now the ten 10% that are hard I personally like it when a person has exhausted all there resources and then asks a question. It makes me feel kinda good to know that there are people that actually care...I mean on the other side of it a lot of us members ask questions and asnwer questions so do you expect s to pay whe we are the very people answering the questions.
    I personally agree with whizkid, if AO became a source info for cash, then it would break into a financial problem for those of us who just need help. I believe that information should be free, for our society to come togehther, we must share. As sharing is part of a good relationship. Besides, if AO became a financially run info source, we would have to change the site motto to "Anti-Online, A Penny For Your Thoughts!".
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux