Thread: Kernel Upgrading

Kernel Upgrading

Hello Friends,

I was playing around in rh 9 earlier and noticed that I had some updating to do cause that big '!' in the bottom right corner told me so. Anyways, one of the updates was the new kernel. Moreover, I'm sceptical to load it :

1) because I really don't know how....
    2) last time I compiled my own kernel my nvidia drivers got sent to hell...and even the nvidia installer didn't work. Also eth0 went down.

Would someone please enlighten me on how to do this 'right'. I suck at this linux stuff probobly cause I am a massive....massive noob.

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    In RH's case, when updating from the RHN, they do the kernel build and such to match your system. When I did it previously (I was using 7.3), I never had problems. Now, whether this will have issues with the nvidia cards I don't know. My personal experience was a positive one.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Well the nvidia installer asks for the 'kernel-source' or some type. It works fine in the original kernel, but the new one doesn't seem to let me load...any ideas!?

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Scatman420
    Well the nvidia installer asks for the 'kernel-source' or some type. It works fine in the original kernel, but the new one doesn't seem to let me load...any ideas!?

scat
    I'm using RH9 and nvidia drivers - Here are a few tips.

Firstly you don't have to compile the kernel, but you should get the source for the kernel as well, so that other apps can have access to what they require.

I've installed a number of kernel updates from RH, but not the latest (although I've just done that on my work's machine) with few problems, but you will need to re-compile the Nvidia drivers when you do.

Check out nvidia' s website http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux for the latest drivers since they have made the process much easier than it used to be.

Get the pdf instructions & give them a good read.

If you still get stuck, I'll be doing the process on my home box in a few days, just drop back to your previous kernel, drop me a PM and I'll write up a quick guide for doing this once I remember exactly what it is I did in the past.

HTH

Steve

(I wonder if FreeS/WAN support this kernel yet?... Just off to check.)

Hurrah! they do.