Unix shell account help and ping help

Thread: Unix shell account help and ping help

Unix shell account help and ping help

Does anyone know where I can get a good, free, Unix Shell Account? Also; how do I ping? Like if i wanted to find out if my computer at home was online, how do i do it?

I don't know if these accounts are good or not, but maybe here you'll find what you're looking for: http://www.bylur.net/free/

And got some from AO: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...+shell+account
    Don\'t ask for any information that you can get yourself. RTFM!

IMO, easiest way to get a shell account is to dowload a distro of linux and install it on your machine. . .I don't remember who it was, but I recall someone on this site had said they had a few shell accounts people could play around with, don't know if they are still available though. . . as far as ping. . .you answered it with the question, you use the command ping. . .followed by either, a IP addie like 127.0.0.1, or a domain name like google.com. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

no flames please, total newb here, but how can i find my IP? I use netstat or something in
    DOS yes? How do i find out someone else's IP address? w/o asking them to look it up?. And do I Ping using telnet, my shell, or DOS?

Banned
    Go to dos and type netstat –n

Ok for someone else’s it depends first what are you going to use it for. But open up an AIM channel with them and then type Netstat –n that will give you there’s just remember what your’s is when you do that.

To ping go to startąrunątype in command.

Then type in Ping 127-0.0.1 now use –t if you want to do a perpetual ping.

Whizkid2300

You can also google it up.

SO i could just go into an instant message using AIM, type in netstat -n and it will show me their ip #? u sure it won't just type on the screen and then if they know what they are seeing they will notify aol what I'm doing? Also Y would i ping myself?

o and one more thing whizkid, what is the startąrunątype thing? Dos, telnet, or my shell?