Need help installing RH 8.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help installing RH 8.0

Need help installing RH 8.0

I am trying to install RH8 on a Celly 500 with 128MB RAM but it keeps loosing a file while in the install phase.

Any one have a solution?

The solution cannot involve more RAM or a better computer because that is not feasible at this time.

Hmmm...be a little bit more specific on the problem. If its 'loosing' a file that sounds rather sketchy. Are you using ISO's or CD's. Just give a little more detail that's all.

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

i am using Retail CD's i got from a friend but the file is random and not the same every time i try to install..

Do you think it might be a hardware problem

Hmmmm....ok, I'm almost positive that the disks must be scratched. The fact that it misses random files and such idicates such a problem. Give this a try, burn the disks to new cd-r's. Use the new cd's to install. If you still get the problem...your cd-rom's stream is messed. Give it a try....

scat

Ok will doo let you know the results later

Sounds like a memory problem to me. Your 128mb stick of memory could be bad. Trying borrowing a stick of memory you know that works from someone and see if that solves your problem.

If it's not the stick then it's probably the communication cable from the disk drive to the motherboard. It could also be the hard drive IDE cable that's causing the problem. Check these one by one and see if that solves your problem.

I hope that helps.

Oh and this thread shouldn't be in the tutorials forum.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Are the files being lost when it's trying to copy form a CD? Or is it missing dependencies? Just wondering. It does sound like a software or hardware error, but trying to cover all contingencies.

If you have to download new iso files, get 9
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

witty sig 'roadclosed' ---

Thanks, been thinking of adding a detour sign as well....
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

strykerfenix, you could always just try to NOT install the problem file, providing of course that it isn't needed. I had a similar problem installing 7.3 once, with a file getting mucked up. I didn't need it, so I just didn't install it and it seemed to work just fine. When I did this though, I was doing a custom install (I think) so I just didn't install the package it appeared to be in. Not sure if this is an option for you or not, but it worked for me.