Thread: bypassing school cyberpatrol

bypassing school cyberpatrol

well, alrdy said it in subject, but does anyone know how I can get by the stupid school comp software that "protects" me from viewing "violent" material. The comps are pretty protected, but what do I know, it's probably easy.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    *WHY* do you want to by-pass it?

The schools usually put that software there for their protection as well. If you have a legimate reason for by-passing the software, talk to the admin about opening up some of the restrictions. Otherwise, "breaking" the software is not something we recommend or encourage (IMHO).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

wow, didn't take me long to get a warning from whoever it is that looks at these. I wasn't trying to screw up the software or anything like that. I just wanted a way to look at a site that had the word "gun" or something on it. They block access to somethings that are really stupid and I can never talk to the sytadmin bc he's always busy. I was just wondering if there was any other way to load the site or something. I didn't want to open up vulgar or x-rated sites or whatever. So SORRY!

You can try going to google, enter the web site in the search engine and view the cached version of the page. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    So talk to the admin. Tell him what you are researching. They can open up whatever you need. I've had to deal with similar things (did you know that Oracle's Knowledgebase uses XXX in their urls? It used to get banned by my schools firewall. I had to ask the firewall administrator to make an exception for the Oracle site and they did it fine).

So rather than get all upset, why not persue that option rather than trying to "go around"? At worse the admin will say no but it's better than the possible reprecussions if you by-pass the software without their knowledge.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage