Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Industry Cracks Down

Am I the only one with any sense of morals here? All of you are bitching about the RIAA threatening to take away your ability to download all the music you want, as if it were your right. As far as I'm concerned downloading music is no different from walking into a music store and walking out the door with a few CD's that you didn't pay for. But why do so many people do it? Because the internet has given everyone anonymity, and because it's easy. Besides, how can something that so many people are doing be wrong, right? And you can forget about complaining about the high prices. If you don't like the prices, then you shop around. That's supposed to be the beauty of capitalism; competition lowers prices, etc. And if that doesn't work then, atleast in the US, there are other avenues that you can pursue. But just because you think the prices are too high or the musician makes enough money does not make it right.

I think everyone has gotten a little too used to their free Linuxes and countless other free software. Just because it's in a digital format does not make it free. I agree with most of you that what the RIAA is trying to do is futile, but does that mean that it should not be done? And you complain that they are only concerned about money. Well, who isn't? I hear people say that they download music because CD's are too expensive. Well who's concerned about money now?

And you're right, I suppose that you could download copies of CD's that you already have/had, but, personally, I think they should probably change the law concerning that. Because for that to work requires the honor system, and as we all can plainly see there aren't many honest people in the world (atleast not when they're hiding behind their keyboard). What the hell kink of rationalization is that anyway? "They'll never catch us so let's do it!" ??? What's the matter with all of you? You'll have to excuse my rudeness, but I think all of you should shut up and stop complaining and consider yourself lucky that you've gotten away with it for as long as you have.

I for one will continue to get my music the old fashioned way: I'll buy it. And if it's too expensive, then I'll go wthout. Can you imagine that?
    \"I\'d like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve.\" -John Mayer

What people dont realize when they bitch about people who hate the riaa is that most people who download music (most not all) download songs they like not usually the whole cd. Mainly because they have songs they like or want to try out a band/cd. Although the price of cd's are high most people still go out and buy the cds. When you are talking about people concerned about money when buying cd's they are worried because you are spending 20 dollars or more sometimes for only 2 songs. Last week i bought that country girl cd by df dub because i liked a song i downloaded. Worst cd ive bought in a while i can tell you that. There is a difference about worrying about spending money on something you wont like and only worried about Making money.

You cant tell me that you've never downloaded even a single song. There are some songs you cant find in stores such as Zoloft Smiles cd -16-. hell i cant even find it on the internet for that matter lol. But if something is as futile as what the RIAA is doing why waste tax payers money on it? why not spend it on something worthwhile.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Am I the only one with any sense of morals here? All of you are bitching about the RIAA threatening to take away your ability to download all the music you want, as if it were your right.
    I'm not bitching... I'm just saying that it'd be close to impossible to stop it. If there is a will there is a way. We all know that the will is there. Proven by the millions of people using these networks. I'm not saying the use of these networks for "illegal" purposes is right... just pointing out that there are so many options out there that the RIAA will have a hell of a time trying to stop it.

I really don't even use p2p networks to DL music. I either buy the cd, have a friend burn it (most of which is Phish and they allow this type of music trading, and encourage it), and share music that my friends have recoreded. They can't get on the radio... p2p is the next best thing to get heard. I get quite a few DLs of their music (most of which are fans who come to the shows).

When I say that Phish encourages it... I mean it. They just don't want you to profit from it. You can come to their concerts with your equipment, and record the whole thing. Then you trade with other people online. You don't have to tape it to trade either. You can trade CDs, tapes, mp3s, whatever. Just pay for shipping and tapes or cds and you're set.
    Phish allows and encourages people to tape shows, on the condition that the tapes are traded freely and not for profit. The Phish.Net is a great place to get copies of these tapes. The two easiest ways to get started are:
    Look at this if you don't believe me.

They are a band that has been together since around 1983 and have a HUGE underground following. Very similar to the following that the Grateful Dead had. They can sell out a New Years Eve show with 80,000 people... hell, I'm going to one next week that will be about 60,000 people in Maine. They can sell out a venue in less than a half hour. You will rarely see them on tv, the radio can't play them and MTV has only had them on a handfull of times at the most. That had to do mostly with news anyhow.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Another band that does the same thing is CKY. They have little money and their label doesnt help them with advertising so they rely on word of mouth and trading.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Am I the only one with any sense of morals here? All of you are bitching about the RIAA threatening to take away your ability to download all the music you want, as if it were your right. As far as I'm concerned downloading music is no different from walking into a music store and walking out the door with a few CD's that you didn't pay for.
    I will have to follow in Phishphreek80's footsteps on this one.

I don't think people should have the ability to just download any song they want for free and not pay the artist for their work. But, the RIAA is digging their own grave. They're trying to bail their row boat out with a dixie cup while its sinking fast- there are too many ways for users to copy, burn and download music. No amount of legislation or technology will win this battle for them. It will only lead to more creative methods and technologies for people to use to bypass the RIAA.

Songs are played on the radio for free. Legally, I am allowed to record the songs from the radio. They broadcast the song into the airwaves permeating my home and car. Why doesn't the RIAA freak out about me hearing songs for free on the radio? Its because they consider it part of the cost of marketing. They pay Independent Analysts to force feed the songs they want you to hear over the radio. They don't get paid by the radio station each time the song is played.

The RIAA should figure out how to wrap their "losses" from P2P file sharing into their marketing budget the same way they rationalize paying IA's to dictate what gets played on the radio. Most people I know will still buy the CD if its any good. Downloading from P2P is like trialware or shareware that gives you a chance to sample and decide if you want to spend $15 or $18 for the CD.

They should also realize that the consumers are fed up with over-priced one-hit CD's and make some industry-wide changes. Make better quality CD's. Lower the price for CD's. Embrace technology like Apple's iTunes that work with this new digital distribution method rather than trying to squash it or pretend it doesn't exist. I am much more inclined to pay $.99 per song to download them than I am to buy a CD for $15. I can download 15 songs- about the same as on an average CD- maybe even more- and they will be 15 songs I like and that I choose rather than one good hit and 14 crap songs thrown in for filler.

I don't support piracy or illegal file-sharing, I just abhor any corporation trying lobby for ridiculous federal legislation and wasting everyone's time and tax dollars in a futile effort to stop a juggernaut.

There was an article in a local newspaper last month about this. They ( the music industry and its attorneys) are going after people who "offer copywrited material" for download on P2P networks, they also got a judge to give them a court order to force ISP providers to provide lists of people that use the P2P software and thier IP addresses.
    Since they have tried unsucessfully to thwart the file sharing by going after the networks ( I think everyone remembers the publicity that Napster got a while back), they figure if they start scaring people by making them pay dammages it will make them stop, and its perfectly legal.
    Also they are using the same software that you are using (P2P) to catch you by running searches on copywrited songs and taking names and IP addresses.
    The only way you can defeat that is to "unshare" your main music file so it cant be accessed by the network through a search. Problem there is that if everyone does that it does exactly what the music industry wants, pretty much cuts out the file traffic .
    Another way they can get you is using the "Hotlist" option that some networks offer, where you can choose someone , add them to the list and browse all of the shared files they have on thier machine.

They (the music industry and the lawyers) are out for blood and they are here to stay so Id watch out and maybe lay low for a while to see how this thing comes out, even if they fined you $10.00 per song it could get pretty expensive,especially for those that have a couple thousand song files on thier machine,not to mention the lawyers fees to defend you.
    Plus it IS criminal so it becomes part of your record, and will show up if anyone accesses the criminal databanks, if you are found guilty of an offense.

Old Fart
    Am I the only one with any sense of morals here? All of you are bitching about the RIAA threatening to take away your ability to download all the music you want, as if it were your right. As far as I'm concerned downloading music is no different from walking into a music store and walking out the door with a few CD's that you didn't pay for.
    Out of 5 gigs of music there might be a total of 10 songs that I don't "own"(they suck and I'll delete them if it makes you happy)....and if you read my previous post, you'll find that I support the notion of artists being paid.....but thats not what this is all about...this is all about the RIAA getting paid. It takes a truely prolific songwriter to make money when dealing with the RIAA, and you would be surprised at how many musicians DIE still indebted to the RIAA for recording costs. The reason bands go out on tour is to earn money because they don't make jacks**t off of their own songs. In the case of a musician/songwriter, the best case scenario is for someone else to record their songs, that way they get a "pure" royalty that is not gobbled up by production costs. You want an inside view of the recording industry? Head over to www.janisian.com (home of 70's artist Janis Ian) and catch a glimpse from the artists point of view....then come back and tell me who has less morals...me or the RIAA.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

This is a neverending argument and its coming up too often bcos of what the RIAA is doing. I myself am a little tired of seeeing this all the time. The RIAA can hope to scare some of teh people away but there are just too many people using p2p out there and a lot of them are not even in the US. So getting to them is gonna be a problem. The point someone brought up abt wasting taxpayers $ is very true. All this is wasting the courts time and govt $ on this when there are more important problems out there to solve. I dunno how ti works but i thnk the RIAA should be charged a fee by the courts for each person they sue to prevent them from wasting the courts time. If they win then the loser should have to pay instead. but they should have to fork out the $ first so that they dont flood the courts with this. I agree that they have a right to do this but the number they have brought out is ridiculous. I remeber readin an article that said that the staff at the courts had to work late just to clear all the RIAA cases.

I could go on about all the other stuff but I have said lots b4 on the same topic in other posts. Anyway, they should just come up with better ways to sell music. And not thru CDs where i get 1 good song and the rest is crap. I used to buy a lot of CDs b4 but now since they made a lot of noise abt people using p2p to rip them off. I have goten sick of it all and realise there are much better things to do. Catching up on all my reading and just spending more time with my family.

Well IMO this is going too far...I think I'm gonna connect to kazaa through a proxy and share my 3000+ mp3's

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    If your tired of the RIAA's privacy killing, join Project "Screw the RIAA"

see details at

http://www.planetmaddness.com/riaa