OpenBSD's getting boring...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenBSD's getting boring...

OpenBSD's getting boring...

I can't attest for other *nixes security record these last 4 months (I only use obsd personnally), but as for OpenBSD, it's been almost 4 months since the last security vuln/patch! The 3.3 release has yet to have a single vuln/patch.

I have to admint I kind of wonder why that is... Is it the propolice bufferoverflow protection? Is it the code auditing? Is it just statistically insigneficant? Or has it just been quiet everywhere in the *nix world lately?

Nevertheless, it kinda makes OpenBSD boring to administer compared to MS who keeps pushing patches at a frantic pace...

What's your take on this?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

What's your take on this?
    I think its time for me to consider changing from RedHat to OpenBSD....

RedHat has had as many (if not more) security updates as m$ has lately...
    (of course this includes more than just kernel updates, so its not just redhat... its other open source programs... but there have been tons of them lately)

By the way... are you talking about security updates for just the kernel? Or for all programs you are running on it?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

i see it as a good thing myself its the same with free as this attests to
    http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/show...threadid=12455

edit -spelling
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

ammo > Why don't you take that spare time you have now, and try to find new ways to overflow, or exploit parts in the code? You will be securing *BSD even more and making it an even better distro. You will also be getting better yourself at seeing holes and learning how to patch them.

Just a thought.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80

By the way... are you talking about security updates for just the kernel? Or for all programs you are running on it?
    *BSDs are considered a "whole" system... Unlike "Linux" (strictly speaking) which is really just the kernel which is usually combined with GNU tools (+more) to make a distrib...

So yes I was refering to security updates for the whole system.
    (http://www.openbsd.org/errata.html, http://www.openbsd.org/errata32.html)
    As you can see, the last patch was on march 31st for the sendmail buffer overflow...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

OK ammo, you convinced me. For my next server that I build, I'm going to build it with *BSD. I have only messed with *BSD when I first started learning *nix. Guess its time to revisit it.

Thanks
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    OK ammo, you convinced me. For my next server that I build, I'm going to build it with *BSD. I have only messed with *BSD when I first started learning *nix. Guess its time to revisit it.

Thanks
    We all know how I feel about Redhat anyway. 9 was pretty good for being redhat but I still didnt like it. I put slackware on last night (the last 3 weeks Iv tried a few Linux distros for testing and boredom and well heh I had fun.) I tested redhat 8, redhat 9. 9 was ok. I tested Mandrake 9.1. It was great, I really liked it. I tested Free BSD...hell its still awesome. Then i put on slackware 3.0...quickly went to 8.1...then i went to 9...It was cool cause in console/text mode it had a Tux penguine at the top left of the screen, i liked that. And I like the gold theme for KDE...but it was so boring! those were the only things I liked. I messed around with it and I didnt like how links worked in text mode...BAh oh well. I also popped Debian on for a test drive, I actually liked it. But I took that off for BSD and then well... I put redhat9 on for more testing.... Then I put slackware on again...Then just like everyone guessed already, I put SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional back on....Sorry guys but I do NOt promote suSE for any other reason than the fact that IT OWNS. No Linux has better features/tools, none beat it with games....What can I say? Im German, SuSE is too. SuSE rocks out and I love Punk Rock...Me and Tux are best of Friends when Me Him and Geeko hang out we are great. Open BSD has AWESOME reading material. Its not as hard as everyone tells you (hell I still havnt read a slackware book, I just booted from the CD and the damn thing asks a few questions, you answer, and your done) Open BSD is one of the Best OSs in the world. But it aint got **** on SuSE...well in MY opinion anyway. I like SuSE. it does what I want and does things better than I expected so obviously I love it. Open BSD is good but for Linux SuSE and Debian own. SuSE more than Debian of course

Ahem. Mr phishy phreak. YOU owe ME a SuSE install. So after you FINALLY dump red hat on your next box, I hope you at least put SuSE on first to try it out. But Im sure as hell not going to diss Open BSD, I knowdamn well its built to last. They have my respect too. What other OS has people go threw the source, line by line looking for security holes?

Iv used about 20 OSs now. Almost every Linux thinkable. Free BSD. UNIX. CP/M, MS-DOS, Windows....every version passed 3.11 (hard to believe Iv only had a computer for 3 years huh?) And out of all these. In MY opinion, the BEST of the BEST were:

Windows XP. (better than I expected and Iv yet to have a crash.)

SuSE Linux....I dont need to say anything else..Its the ****.

Mandrake Linux 9.1. They did a great job making this a good distro.

Debian...heh it rocks too.

Free BSD...very good as well.

Open BSD...HEHEHEHEHE. this could make a paranoid schitzophrenic feel like not only are they secure but really no one is watching them.

If your looking for a new OS to try, look at the list I made. I have enough OS experiance now to give relevant help in choosing and Id say try one of the above.

Good Lord! Thats a lot of installs. How long did it take? BTW I love my SuSe 8.1 lol

Geeze Gore I am surprised your computer has not run to the hills after all those O.S installs Thanks for the brief info on which ones you like

Redhat 7.3 with all the updates/patches rocks.