Frickin' Teddy Bear Icon...Again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frickin' Teddy Bear Icon...Again!

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Frickin' Teddy Bear Icon...Again!

Shouldn't everyone in the world know by now that the notorious jdbgmgr.exe file and the accompanying teddy bear icon are legitimate Windows files and that any message suggesting otherwise is a hoax???

It boggles the mind how short a memory the average user base has. I think we have sent bulletins and alerts notifying the users that this is a hoax asking them to cease and desist forwarding any "virus warnings" to their entire address list and stressing that any virus issues go through the proper channels for investigation and alerts as required.

Yet- seemingly every 3 to 6 months- some yahoo is always starting this jdbgmgr.exe hoax again and everyone falls for it- AGAIN!

I don't want to be like a Tom Clancy who gives ideas to the bad guys- but if I were a malicious code writer I certainly would have written a real virus by now with a very similar name to jdbgmgr.exe as the executable and stolen the teddy bear icon to associate it with. Everyone is so used to it being a hoax (or should be, but seemingly aren't as evidenced by the fact that our users keep re-circulating the fu*king hoax) and wouldn't think twice about it.

Does anyone else keep seeing this or are my users just unusually dense??

Re: Frickin' Teddy Bear Icon...Again!

Originally posted here by tonybradley
    No it's not just your users, I get at least one a month. The user usually contacts me AFTER he/she has already deleted the file and sent the e-mail to all his/her friends. <airheads>

Cheers:
    DjM

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

I've never seen this hoax before, but I sympathise. Educating users is like hearding cats.

Our IT department motto (very bad latin - if someone can do this right I'd be overjoyed):

Facio Educo Petaso
    L8rs,
    Steve

Re: Re: Frickin' Teddy Bear Icon...Again!

Originally posted here by steve.milner
    I've never seen this hoax before, but I sympathise. Educating users is like hearding cats.
    HERE is the write-up on it.

Cheers:
    DjM

Hopefully people will learn. but then someone else will come out with some new and then it will start all over again. I always tell people to check with a antivirus site to check it out first before sending out mass emails about things they think is a virus and 99% of the time it is a bunch of BullSh!t

I don't want to be like a Tom Clancy who gives ideas to the bad guys- but if I were a malicious code writer I certainly would have written a real virus by now with a very similar name to jdbgmgr.exe as the executable and stolen the teddy bear icon to associate it with. Everyone is so used to it being a hoax (or should be, but seemingly aren't as evidenced by the fact that our users keep re-circulating the fu*king hoax) and wouldn't think twice about it.
    Well, even worst..

give out infected (trojaned) jdbgmgr.exe file to replace the one the (l)users just deleted !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

luckily, my users are pretty cautious, and get my approval before doing anything. which includes rebooting their machine.... /sigh/....

except on fridays, when the gates open and everything seems to come out of the woodwork. I guess that's so i'll remember to fix it on satuday.

as far as the hoax goes, i'ld rather see the *hoax* warnings floating arround incessantly than the occasional virus warning (hoax) and people deleting stuff.

-i hope i phrased that correctly.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

LOL, I have been seeing this for years and years.... even when everyone was on pine mail!

You know what works for the repeat offender Tom? If you can get away with it... public email humilation to the originator.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I get sick of multiple people forwarding it to me. However, the worst is when the same person forwards it to me that did a month ago. That's why I empathize with tonybradley, my users are very dense as well.
    \"I have not failed. I\'ve just found 10,000 ways that won\'t work.\" - Albert Einstein

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    LOL. The worst is when an executive at a security firm forwards it to you claiming that a sr level engineer at Bell labs sent it to said executive. **shakes head**

Yes, I get end users reporting this from time to time and it does come in waves as you have noted. In fact, about 2 weeks ago it surfaced again and that's about the same time I got the e-mail from a top exec at a security firm. I can't/wont release the name in order to protect the guilty and/or innocent.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden