Thread: Where do I start, Please help!....

Where do I start, Please help!....

For being a computer user for about 7 years, I have done the whole bit of experimenting with virii, trojans, worms, etc.... But I am in the field which requires my knowledge to stop people like I once was. I have long stopped trying to be the "Computer Cracker" and want to start understanding security exploitation.

I know that everyone here has been a newbie and had to start somewhere. Any direction would be greatful.

Thanks

Network Enforcer

I got a couple questions what type of box?

Second on the security side you didn't learn them both, I can't speak for anyone else but, I learned both on the way up so that I wouldn't get caught. Do you know any languages. What do you know about networks?

Whizkid2300

I'm am sorry but we cannot teach you how to "crack" or "hack". You could start by reading tutorials and books. There's quite a few tuts in the AO archieves I believe. Also, try http://www.happyhacker.com for some info
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

Cool Links memory, i might as well learn some stuff myself

btw...just curious, isnt "understanding security exploitation" almost the same as "hacking" refering to hacker as in "Someone who likes exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities." I could be wrong.

Thanks for the links MemorY. I have to pull all the old tools out again and my thought process back into this mode of thinking. Yes Cybr1d, that is what a hacker is which is why I said "cracker" in reference to my past. I did not mention once that I wanted to use any exploits for malicious intents nor did I want it taught to me. Direction is all I ask from which it would be my decision whether or not to proceed with it or not.

Thanks Again

Network Enforcer

Ready my posts hehe

Network Enforcer, I think you and I are in the same basic position as far as learning about security, so here's my plan for myself:

1) Get back into programming, I plan to teach myself more C, Java and Perl
    2) Learn more about networking...eventually I want to learn about exactly how packets are made, sent, etc... and make some of my own..., learn more about routers/hubs/switches...that kind of stuff...
    3) Study general operating system concepts.

Yeah, I know this list is rather general and most likely incomplete, but I've got to start somewhere. My advice is to start with these as well, but customize it to fit your interests. Figure out what you want to learn about, how much you want to learn about it, and go from there. Add and subtract goals as accomplish them/lose interest in topics/make new ones.

Hope this helps,
    alph

Originally posted here by alphabetarian
    Network Enforcer, I think you and I are in the same basic position as far as learning about security, so here's my plan for myself:

1) Get back into programming, I plan to teach myself more C, Java and Perl
    2) Learn more about networking...eventually I want to learn about exactly how packets are made, sent, etc... and make some of my own..., learn more about routers/hubs/switches...that kind of stuff...
    3) Study general operating system concepts.

Yeah, I know this list is rather general and most likely incomplete, but I've got to start somewhere. My advice is to start with these as well, but customize it to fit your interests. Figure out what you want to learn about, how much you want to learn about it, and go from there. Add and subtract goals as accomplish them/lose interest in topics/make new ones.

Hope this helps,
    alph
    Thanks for the pathalphabetarian . I am finishing up my CCNA stuff and am currently a MCP, MCSA, and a Network Admin with my company. The programming though will definitly be a plus to work on.

Thanks Again,

Network Enforcer