Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jupiter Media Compromises User's Data Integrity

This was a mistake.

A bad marketing idea that was put in place before the people who manage the site were informed.

It was removed and will not return. Anyone reading this now will not understand what happened so I will explain: a hyper-linking program was installed that linked certain "ad words" in people's posts to ads off-site. It was de-activated as soon as I found out what was done.

Now that it was de-activated, those links have disappeared.

I apologize to anyone who had to endure it. Definitely a stupid idea.

- JupMan for Jupitermedia Corp.

well that put a fast halt to it!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Greetings:

I appreciate Jupiter Media's frankness in their response to this thread, and the quick actions that they have taken in light of it.

From running this site for almost 10 years, I certainly understand that advertising is what pays the bills (and believe it or not folks, AntiOnline was NOT cheap to run, heh). I'm glad to see, that Jupiter Media understands that they need to find ways to present that advertising to the end-user, in a format that they will be most responsive to.

(Wow, did I just say something nice? Hrm, I think I might have. I better look into it......)

clue me in

I don't see what you are seeing:

Code:
    What is in-line advertising?  Jupiter Media is now ALTERING YOUR POSTS to include
    advertisements in such a away, that it appears that the user making the post is the
    one advocating and endorsing the products that they are looking to promote.

Want examples?  Watch what happens when I type in the following words.  Keep in
    mind, that I am not doing ANY LINKING here:

business

computer

networks

See what I mean?  It looks like good 'ol JP is linking all of you to advertisements,
    doesn't it?  Never mind the fact that I think that gateway computers are pieces of junk,
    and wouldn't recommend them to ANYONE.
    Is it no longer active?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Rcgreen, that's right, it is no longer active.

As I said, as soon as I found out about it, I insisted it be turned off.

Frankly, I was really pissed it was tried. A stupid stupid idea.

JP, thanks for bringing it up. I was not aware this was done until you put the message up.

(rcgreen, not sure how you formatted your post but it seems to be forcing super-wide lines)

(rcgreen, not sure how you formatted your post but it seems to be forcing super-wide lines)
    I right-clicked the page, selected "view source". The HTML source came up in wordpad.
    Then I copy& pasted it, using the "code" tag. I think it displayed wide because the lines
    are long in the HTML source and the code tag displays the text without wrapping.

I figured something like that.

You know you can edit your posts -- if you inserted carriage returns (just hit enter, not
    tags) on those lines that are very long, you would fix the page.

Originally posted here by JupMan
    I figured something like that.

You know you can edit your posts -- if you inserted carriage returns (just hit enter, not
    tags) on those lines that are very long, you would fix the page.
    done