Ok, I couldn't find another tut on this around here, im sure there is one, but o well. This wont cover the same things.

Ive read alot of people on different boards wanting help installing slack 9, so ill go over a few things.

First off, you have to get an iso. To do this, i recommend going to www.linuxiso.org, and getting the newest slack i686 or i386 version, whichever is suitable for you. To burn the iso, i recommend burning it on a linux platform, with:

Code:
bash-2.05$ cdrecord -scanbus

/* this will tell you where your burning device is located and how it can be recognized by cdrecord. , we'll say it returned LITE-ON 0,0,0
for SAG */

bash-2.05$ cdrecord dev=0,0,0 -eject /path/to/slackware/iso
This should take about 10 minutes or so to burn on a 16x burner, which is a good average speed.

Now most of you, will be fine with getting your slack iso to boot up, however, another great deal of you, will not. This is where things get tricky.

Equipment needed:

3 BLANK floppy disks, a floppy drive, about 15 MB of free diskspace on a working OS, and of course the slack9 iso.

Now, from ftp://ftp.tux.org/distributions/slac...slackware-9.0/ get the following

1. RAWRITE.EXE
2. rootdisk1.img
3. rootdisk2.img
4. boot.img

Install rawrite, and its really easy to use.

For windows users, just drag and drop the img on top of the RAWRITE.EXE icon, and it will ask you where do you want to write the image to, you tell it A: , if your floppy drive is A:

Rinse, and Repeat until you have three fresh floppies, plug one in and reboot with the boot.img disk in the floppy drive, and the slack iso cd as well.

Now that we are into slackwares boot prompt, we are going to press the enter key.

This will load all sorts of modules and config stuff that you really dont need to read, especially if you need help installing slackware

<little joke sorry>

Anyway, moving on

Now I dont know about you all, but for my partitions, i like to use cfdisk. some like fdisk, but i dont. I love cfdisk, you can read all about how to use it in my cfdisk tutorial somewhere on the site, and its called Using cfdisk, i believe, and i dont want to search for it.

Ok.. so now we have our partitions setup, by using cfdisk or by using fdisk:

hint: i like to use:

/boot = 10 mb
/swap = 1024 mb
/ = whatever the remaining partition allows for

anyway... boot = linux 82, swap = linux swap 83, and for your / = linux 82 again

Now type setup at the prompt, and press enter.

Once in there, setup your root partition, your boot partition, etc..
(which is really easy to do and very self explanatory)

Now go to install source media, for the noob, i would recommend an expert install, for the expert, i would recommend an expert install. so we are going to do an expert install.

An expert install is no different than newbie, except it takes more time. You are going to want to be able to make sure you know whats going on your machine dont you? I mean honestly, who the **** wants kde and all its **** clogging up your harddrives precious arteries when you could be running the most beautiful window manager in the world, fluxbox ~ see my tutorial on fluxbox to install fluxbox post slackware install ~

Ok, if you are a web developer, make damned sure that:

1. you dont install apache
2. you dont install php
3. you dont install mysql

Its a pain in the ass to go back in and configure these whenever you dont need to do so, just download and install all that **** post configuration.

Ok, so you've selected your source media, and installed it.. Good job..

Stick a floppy in, and make the bootdisks, itll walk you right through it.

Install lilo automatically, unless you have to set a bunch of stupid ass boot flags that you simply cant enter into lilo.conf once you boot into linux.. i mean hell you have your bootdisks already... made dont you

Anyway, congrats, you have now installed slack9, and who thought it was hard, hell, that was all from my memory can you believe it

View signature picture. If you need any additional help, i can write a supplement in this thread for you if you would like, just send a pm.