Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It is absolutely ILLEGAL

Just don't whine if you are stealing, and it is stealing, copyrighted music if you are caught. They are only testing the laws right now and trying to scare people from using the p2p programs. On kazaa alone there are probably more people filesharing right now than there are people in the U.S. And that is just kazaa.
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

I'm not copying the music exactly as it is from the CD, I'm making a copy of significantly inferior quality (128kbps) which could be considered analogous to radio.

Dave Matthews Band (the band members themselves) take in an absolutely extraordinary amount of money considering their relative popularity to the average superstar pop act, simply because your average big label screws the average band they sign. Bands getting as little as $2 from each record they sell, etc. etc. Hell they make money off blank cd's that get sold. Record companies are making plenty and should shut up about p2p especially considering there's jackshit they can do about it.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by EINzTEIN
    There will be a LICENSE that ppl have to get , guess what, not any license, a license
    with the name :COMPUTER-LICENSE.
    What a fantastic idea that is. Cut down on script kiddies no end if a registration was required to own a computer & you had to supply enough details to make yourself traceable.

And we could make people put 'L' plates on their machines, posts & websites etc. until they've passed a proficiency and good manners test.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    OK, here's the down-and-dirty, simplified version of getting information legally from an ISP.

The ISPs not required by law to give any of your information to the authorities without due process of law. Most ISPs won't anyway. This form of due process comes in the way of a subpoena. The issuing agency will serve the subpoena to the ISP, and the ISP has a certain amount of time to produce the documents the agency has requested. The ISP DOES NOT have to inform you that they turned over your records to a law enforcement agency.

The only way you'll know about possible discosure ahead of time is if the ISP has a disclosure clause in their Service Agreement. Then, they might not even ask for a subpoena to dislclose your records. However, they must make this discosure clause clear in their service agreement, and if it is, you can take no action against the ISP for giving up your records. Neither can you take action against the ISP for complying with a subpoena.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

This is all very well but do any of you know people that have been convicted of piracy from p2p programs? I havent met nor heard of anyone being arrested for using kazaa. Also, if the law was to state that noone could file share due to piracy then they would have to shut down msn messenger, aol, irc, icq as these programs hav the ability to share files between users.

People have to get used to the idea that the internet is file sharing, whether it be downloading html through your browser or sending e-mail to downloading the latest $500 program from kazaa its all the same.

Some websites have copyrite on their pages... this makes no sence as when you view the page, it is downloaded into your computer and copied from the server.

P2P is just focussing on one aspect of file sharing and because it is right infront of people's noses now doesnt make it any different to what had already been happening when the internet first started.
    _revelatory manifestation of a divine [digital] being.

This is just the beginning for the music/movie industry. They are watching the progress made by DirecTV in their civil actions against end users.

DirecTV has filed a civil lawsuit against a user (UMP) for simply TALKING about hacking. Although this would seem against the constitutional amendment governing free speech, UMP must still hire a lawyer and answer the charges in court or he will loose everything he owns via a default judgement.

DirecTV has made it clear that they intend to financially destroy any end user SUSPECTED of (or even talking about) hacking their signal.

So far, their tactics have worked very well as thousands of forum members SUSPECTED of hacking have been sued and have settled the lawsuit for an approximate sum of 3500 dollars.

Soon, anyone coming here and asking how to hack Hotmail will be tracked via their ISP and sued by Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong. I'm against theft and malicious hacking. However, the lawyers are going too far and........it's going to get worse...a lot worse, so.....get ready.
    KapperDog

This time I believe the industry and their greedy lawyers (which always get a cut, either in percentage or exorbitant fees) have overstepped the bounds of good sense.

We need a change in the legal system so groups can't "buy" prearranged verdicts like these.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Where i use to work i did litigation copying for lawyers of major companys and i did work for a major recording company once you would not believe who and what they sue for.To me they just money hungry A$$holes. it's not artists against artists it's RIAA against artists and now it's RIAA against filig sharing. b/c they are not making a profit from it.

If i want i download music anytime i want and listen to it in the privacy of my home.and let them say i can't.

P.S i always though that piracy was making a profit on copyrighted material (a.k.a) bootleg

just adding my 2 cents
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

http://www.eff.org/

An excellent way to see if you've made their list. Make sure all user names are submitted.

I apologize in advance for posting in an older thread. It annoys me to no end when n00bs do it in my forums, but I feel this link has a positive impact on its usefulness value.
    It\'s not paranoia if they\'re really after you.

No, the RIAA is not hacking your box, and when you use the Internet, you get an IP which is broadcasted. Also you shared a folder with the world, so you basically give permission for anybody to download from it unless you specify a rule to block certain people out.

I do not see RIAA breaking any laws here; there is a difference between controversial and illegal.