Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Find out if RIAA wants YOU

Old Fart

Find out if RIAA wants YOU

Yes...you can find out if you are on the RIAA "hit list" simply by clicking here. The site is sponsered by the Electronic Freedom Foundation and you can get a little background info from Wired News by clicking here.

Here's hoping that nobody in the AO community turns up on the list!!

[edit] If you are on the list, check out getting a good lawyer SPECIFICALLY for defense against the RIAA here. [/edit]
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    wheewww " NO MATCH" ... yes ...tx for the link ...

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Hopefully I WILL be on the list soon. Of course the songs I'm trading will be the female mission statement of Project "Screw the RIAA".

Basically were getting a bunch of people to trade bogus songs, songs with our mission statement, and titles of popular songs, in hopes that they falsly indict one of us.

So far the copyright laws only copyright the content, and the process used to create the song, not the titles. Although I still have more digging to do.

We even are working on creating a program to do all the work of creating your fake playlist for you.

If your interested in helping, see

http://www.planetmaddness.com/riaa

xmaddness

Well I have never used a username for kazaa other than the k_lite one but I am waiting for the ip search because I used to use p2p in the past. It might come around to bite me in the arse.

Banned
    Originally posted here by gamernewbie
    Well I have never used a username for kazaa other than the k_lite one but I am waiting for the ip search because I used to use p2p in the past. It might come around to bite me in the arse.
    Same here... I only used to use regular Kazaa a while back and moved onto K++ but as of last week I no longer have it on my computer and most likely will never have it again.. hopefully that IP search is up soon...

[edit]

xmaddness, I was a little interested in your idea so I did a little searching and found out that you ARE right... titles ARE NOT copyrighted, and here is the text (right from a .gov site for 'trust' issues):

WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:

Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)

Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration

Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)

THNK GOD NO MATCH!!!! thanks for the link though

Exclamation Don't go here....

I went to this site and got a mesage from zone alarm... "do you want ShowBehind.exe to access the internet?" I said NO!!... Looking at Zone Alarm logs I found ShowBehind.exe is located in Windows/sbnet/ShowBehind created at the exact time that I went to this web site!! The site never asked me to install anything, and no mesages poped up!
    check your files...you can delete ShowBehind.exe with no problems.......but what the hell is it??? Is this a trick by the RIAA to grab info from your computer? Seems to me that the most likely people to see if they were on a list are the very people that are most likely to be on that very list...and if they arent on the list yet....they probably are after looking at this web page and having secret software installed. Is this a new way to get a trogan on to a disk?...

check it out.............
    You can\'t squeeze cheese from a goat before it\'s hatched.............

I went to that site but nothing here searched and got none of what you are talking about. Maybe just you?

Hey Hey,

OldMan: You may also wanted to check your registry showbehind.exe apparently adds a few registry keys. In the folder with showbehind.exe there may have possibly been an uninstall file, if not, Spybot S&D will remove it. There seems to be some discrepancy over the actual purpose of showbehind.exe. It is apparently installed with XP Themes, Various New IE Updates, Speed It Up Pro - Ram booster, and other software. It has been reported to be a keystroke logger, sending every keystroke to some predetermined destination. It has also been mentioned that it may be a possible backdoor into your system (trojan) or even ad software of some sort. I have visited this site (RIAA Hit List Search) and have yet to see that software appear on my computer, nor did I receive any pop-ups asking to install software. I'm wondering if the date and times are completely coincidental and you installed this software at some previous point.

[Edit]
    Apparently it is Adware. The removal tool is also located here. With the software's site being http://www.showbehind.com
    [/Edit]

HTRegz .good point/

I did install some software today.. I only got the warning from zonealarm after visiting this web site, however I haven't used my computer untill now. I installed Download accelerator Plus this afternoon. The create time on the ShowBehind file is the exact time that I accessed the webpage though...I'll check my registry. I did delete the file and yes there was an uninstall in the folder, but I figured just 'cause it says uninstall that doesn't mean crap///

Thanks..
    You can\'t squeeze cheese from a goat before it\'s hatched.............