HDD Caring...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD Caring...

HDD Caring...

Hi All....

How to keep the HDD in the good condition? so that the HDD will lons lasting....

I guess you mean how to keep your hard disk from getting filled with useless crap and stuff.
    Run disk cleanup to clean your system from various files you don't need, defragment your disk regulary.... Just search google and you'll find tons of info on how to keep windows working at a reliable speed. There are also numerous tools out there that clean up your system/registry.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Banned
    this a good topic and i want to ask about how to connect 2 HDD at the same time
    thanks

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by modafar
    thanks
    The first question you need to ask yourself, is do I feel confidant to open the PC case and play with cables inside?

(<dirty harry> Well do ya, punk?</dirty harry>)

If not then you should get a /friend/shop/someone who is/ to do this job for you.

If you are happy, then with a little care there isn't too much to this.

Turn off the PC and remove the mains cable

Take care not dislodge any existing cables within the case.

If you have a PC identify the cable that connects the original hard drive to the motherboard and there should be a 'spare' connector on the flat ribbon cable. If not you will need to buy a new IDE cable with a spare connector. Take your machine to the shop with you to get advice (if you're lucky they may do this for you FOC) and to ensure you get the right cable.

Near the existing hard drive there should be a spare bay (technical term for a slot to put your hdd in) and you will need the correct screws to screw into the hard drive. Make sure you get the correct screws otherwsie you could damage the new hdd. Again a visit to your local computer shop should sort this out.

Once you have mounted the drive find the bundle of cables that comes out of the power supply and find a spare one. You are looking for a connector with 4 holes in a straidg line, D shaped and about 20mm long. Find the corresponding socket on the HDD and plug in this cable.

Plug in the spare connector in the ribbon cable into the pins on the back of the new hdd, taking care to align the pins correctly and getting the location slots and tabs together.

Plug back in the mains and turn your PC back on and with luck it should find the new drive.

If you need any more help. drop me a pm

I am not an expert, as defined by applicable law. Any modifications performed to equipment as a result of this post are entirely at your own risk.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

There is one other thing you can do is buy a external Harddrive provided that your computer has usb ports That way there you don't have to open your case and you can share it with more than one computer

Yes but if you do that you will have to pay about another 30-60 bucks and it will be just a tad slower and it will really stink if you dont have USB 2 or firewire because then u would have to go spend anouther 20 bucks lol just put it inside man. And yes external HDD's are fun i have a few myself for swaping stuff with my buddies that have crap net connection(unlike me lol) either way you need to make sure that the jumper(little plastic thing next to where the EIDE cable goes in) on the HDD are set correctly otherwise your CMOS chip might not recognice either your CDROM or your boot drive(with USB you dont have to worry about this). Kinda random i know but wanted to help a little
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

On two of my computers I don't have usb2 all that happends is that it shows That I am using a high speed device with a non highspeed usb port (Don't rember what that actual message was) but for me it works fine

man, just open your pc case and see for yourself the wirings. now if you think you can follow how the cables on the cdrom and the hd is plug, check the pin configuration of the hd you want to plug then plug it in!!! now switch on the pc and hope that it wont creat some smoke

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by modafar
    thanks
    Well, it looks like you got plenty of advice on your question, but I'm going to give you a little more.....

START YOUR OWN THREAD INSTEAD OF HIJACKING SOMEONE ELSE'S!!!!

Thats just plain rude, no two ways about it, and given that you've been around here for about half a year you should know better.

JohnHack: You can do a few things to preserve the integrity of your data software wise. I personally prefer using Norton Utilities but I'm sure that some of the other members can suggest other programs that are as useful if not more useful. As for the physical drive, you might want to look into getting a hard drive cooler and keeping the inside of your computer blown out....the biggest enemies of any system (other than idiots and static discharge) are heat and dust.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Another thing you may want to look into is... keeping the HD cool.
    They can generate quite a bit of heat. Heat and hard drives are a bad mix.

I use fans similar to this one .
    EDIT: sorry, allenb1963, didn't see that you mentioned HD coolers.

Another thing that I like to use is
    S.M.A.R.T. technology
    S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major Hard Disk Drive Manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives. It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard drive manufacturers.
    Read more about it here.

It is not perfect, but helps a lot. I have noticed that most systems have this disabled in the BIOS. Also, you get get programs to log when it expects errors and the like.

Depending on your OS, utilites will vary. Most of them have a scandisk, cleanup and defrag type of utility. Also, the manufacturers of your hard drive will also have quite a few utilities to test your hard drive.

No matter how good you think your hard drive might be... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CURRENT BACKUPS. I use separate hard drives to do this, because of speed. You can also backup to network drives or to portable media such as floppy and cdroms.

Trust me... I've had tons of data lost because of my ignorence.

Originally posted here by steve.milner

Once you have mounted the drive find the bundle of cables that comes out of the power supply and find a spare one. You are looking for a connector with 4 holes in a straidg line, D shaped and about 20mm long. Find the corresponding socket on the HDD and plug in this cable.

Plug in the spare connector in the ribbon cable into the pins on the back of the new hdd, taking care to align the pins correctly and getting the location slots and tabs together.

Plug back in the mains and turn your PC back on and with luck it should find the new drive.

If you need any more help. drop me a pm

I am not an expert, as defined by applicable law. Any modifications performed to equipment as a result of this post are entirely at your own risk.
    Just wanted to add to make sure that if you are adding a second IDE device to a cable, make sure to change the jumpers to make it slave.

You can only have one master and one slave. Most devices you buy will be by default set to either cable select, or master. If you put two masters on one cable, the machine won't recognize either of them. Same with two slaves.

TechTV. has an easy to follow, easy to understand "tutorial" on installing a second hard drive. Pay close attention to the Master/Slave section.

View it here.

There is also a good site here that describes the differences between master and slave and how to choose which one. http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...mpering-c.html
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.