Win98 Trouble...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Win98 Trouble...

Win98 Trouble...

Hi all, I needs ur help.... How to fix the HHD that have bad sector, because of this, my computer cant start to windows, and I lets the Scan disk program running.... but then the Scan disk juz hangging at 51% complete, So how to fix it.

The systems is

Windows 98
    HDD Seagate 1.7GB
    CPU Pentium MMX 200MHz

Pls Help me...

Exit the Scandisk and do a defragment on the HD.

Go To: Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk Defragmenter

Scandisk could be fixing the errors. you do have a slow machine and some things take time with Win 98 and by the way how long do you wait before rebooting the computer?

try booting from your start up disk then run the scandisk from there and make it to do surface scan
    [glowpurple]Costumer Rule:

1. Costumer is Always Right![/glowpurple][glowpurple]
    2. If the costumer is wrong, proceed to rule 1.[/glowpurple]

Lol...i'm so dumb, I took the 1.7GB as 1.7Ghz...yeah, Addict could be right, since you have a slow box, it mite be fixing the prob. Let us know aprox. how long it hangs for.

Defrag won't do anything but tell you to do scan disk. Scan disk is what is going to fix your bad sectors. The only think I can think of is try booting into safe mode and seeing if you can get windows to load.

If not, maybe try booting off the Windows 98 boot disk and running scan disk from there. That way you are not running it off the hard drive, just from your floppy drive and RAM.

It sounds like you have some serious hard drive sector issues if your computer is locking up during a scan disk. So you need some utility that runs off a disk that is bootable. At least that is what I would assume.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

It hang for a long time... i think it jammed already.... My pc can't enter the windows because it's still in dos mode. My I try to defrag it using another PC that running win XP?

Acid is right...sorry about the defrag info. Also you might consider doing a significant upgrade on your comp. I purchased a 1.2ghz, 256 RAM, 20GB HD for $300 bucks...it runs pretty good. Also, If the scandisks dont work, try reformating the HD, Unless u have very important stuff in there.

By the way, Can we fix the bad sector, and how do we fix them, or using what software?

If you use scan disk, its going to have to sit for a long time and run through your hard drive. You have to set it up to do a surface scan which may take up to 6 hours to fix a drive with errors. I would suggest as I said before and using a boot disk then running scan disk and fix the errors. Make sure you run the surface scan, then just let it set over night and whie you go to work. If its still at the same spot after that amount of time, we will have to rethink things.

And yes it would be easy to upgrade the system, if it wasn't a laptop. Laptops are pretty much stuck as they are when you buy them, hardware wise that is (exceptfor external stuff). The newer laptops with the modular bays can have aded batteries and hard drives and such.

Good luck...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]