Thread: Game Servers

Game Servers

Is there a way to copy the server side software from a closed source game server? I'm very interested in seeing how a certain game server works and not too sure of what I can do to see it tick.
    Any suggestions on either ripping the software or its alternatives in order to see what the server is actually doing and how it's doing it?
    TinFoilHat Linux O.o who needs more?

The name of that game would be?

If your talking about getting a hold of the server software for say something like everquest forget it. That kind of software never leaves the server farms. Although you could capture the traffic with a program like ethereal. At lest that will give you a better picture of everything that happens between the client and the server.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

It's an MMORPG called furcadia found at www.furcadia.com. I'd like to make an alternate client into BeOS and possibly Linux, but even with the game's original programmer's permission to create a new client, he/she/it/whatever refuses to allow the specs of the server to be released.
    From looking at it's hex dump while running, I realize that the client has to translate a lot of very weird, complex, and proprietary protocols and commands to successfully run.
    Any help here?
    TinFoilHat Linux O.o who needs more?

Banned
    *Moved from AntiOnline: How do I?*

Dead Man Walking
    Well okay i may be looking at this wrong but wouldnt you aslo need permision from the copyright holder as well? if the original programer sold the rights or did it under contract to a company his/her permision doesnt mean a damned thing. Sounds kinda funny to me. they say you can create basicaly a mod then wont give you the basic info you need to do it?