Lock Screen (2K)

Thread: Lock Screen (2K)

Lock Screen (2K)

Where should I go in Win2x to find the security setting that enables the system to go into lockscreen automatically after a limited amount of idle time?

Use a password protected screen saver.

Right click on desktop, properties, screensaver, choose screen saver, choose number of minutes idle, and check off password protect.

When you try to enter it again, you will will prompted for your system password... be it local or a domain login.

Or... were you thinking more along the lines of setting this for everyone via group policy?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

yes, Group Policy!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You need a Win2k Active Directory Domain...... Got one?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    You need a Win2k Active Directory Domain...... Got one?
    I don't get how this fits into the question/answer? Maybe I missed something...

~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Acid: 'cos he said he wants to run it through a group policy on a win2k box. Group policies are a product of Active Directory and are set up through the group policy editor on a Win2k Domain Controller. I just wanted to know if he was aware of this because if he doesn't have the DC then he will need to do it through the local security policy on each machine.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ah yes that makes more sense then. I saw the first post but not the second one asking about group policy. Thanks TS

~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Yes,

InfoTechGeek: You should do the following: (Assuming you have the rights that you need to modify Group Policy)

1) Create a new Group Policy Object on the OU that you want to have the screensaver lock.
    2) When the Group Policy MMC console comes up go to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Display
    3) Open Activate Screen Saver and Enable the policy.
    4) Open Password Protect the Screen Saver and Enable this policy.

This will mandate that any screensaver the user chooses will have to have to enter a password to get back into their system.

Also, you can set the "Screen Saver Executable" Name to the name of the screen saver if you want everyone to have the same screen saver. (Open the "screen saver executable" policy object in that same folder)

Lastly, you can set the screensaver timeout in seconds by Enabling the "ScreenSaver Timeout" policy object.

Hope this helps.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

To expand on what CXG says I would recommend that you specify the screensaver executable otherwise, IIRC, the policy only affects those with screensavers activated. With the green friendly machines today many people use the power settings to turn off the monitor rather than a screensaver thus the policy would not affect those machines.