IE6 Problem. Need Help.

Thread: IE6 Problem. Need Help.

IE6 Problem. Need Help.

I have an unusual problem with Internet Explorer 6.

I currently have Windows XP with two accounts. I have the administrator account and IE6 works find, no problems.

My wife, however, has a limited user account. IE6 worked fine for her for months. But just recently IE6 won't open for her. If she clicks on the icon, it immediatly says that internet explorer encountered a problem and has to shut down.

I created a new account and the same thing happened. Even when I gave the account Administrator status.

IE is currently in C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer.
    So, I went into my account, copied it from there to C:/Documents and settings/All Users and created a new desktop icon on my account. I tried it out and it worked fine.

Then I went into her account, went to the same folder, created a new icon for her and the same problem keeps occuring.

So it has the correct path, and it doesn't matter if you are administrator, limited, or guest. Only my account can use IE6

For the life of me, I have no idea why this is happening.

Any Ideas?

Watcher
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Banned
    maybe you restricted access to the foler from her account ...from your account go to the /program files/internet explorer/ folder right click it and choose Sharing and Security... see if the "make this folder private" box is checked ...if it is uncheck it and try running the IE from her account again ...

i also found this on microsoft.com

CAUSE
    This problem has been reported to occur when the Xupiter program is installed on the computer.
    maybe your wife somehow got xupiter installed ....

RESOLUTION
    To remove the Xupiter program and correct this problem, use one of the following methods:
    Method 1: Use the Xupiter Uninstaller Utility
    Visit the following Xupiter Web site and follow the instructions there:
    http://www.xupiter.com/uninstall/

Method 2: Manually Remove the Xupiter Program
    Visit the following McAfee Web site to view instructions for removing the Xupiter program:
    http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99904

Method 3: Change Internet Options
    Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
    On the Advanced tab, disable third-party browser extensions.
    Restart the computer, start Internet Explorer, and follow Method 1 or 2.