S&DofAS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&DofAS

S&DofAS

Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black History

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/2360897/detail.html#

Using a white teacher at Oberlin High School would send the wrong message to black students, said A.G. Miller, an associate professor of American and African religious history at Oberlin College.

"The message is that we are not concerned about the importance of your historical background ... that that is less important than a schedule conflict," said Miller, whose three children graduated from Oberlin High School.
    Ahh! Excuse me but isn’t that the ideal that America is supposed to be striving for. That is, it DOESN'T matter what your historical background is, your country of origin or your ethnicity.

Jaqui Willis, a black Oberlin parent, said the teacher is a role model and that removing him from the class would be detrimental to students.
    He's not being removed from the school!!!

Maybe children without the benifit of having American slaves in the family tree could also benifit from exposoure to what is apparantly an extraodinary teacher and human being.

Phyllis Yarber Hogan, a member of the Oberlin Black Alliance for Progress, said a white teacher wouldn't be well-suited to teaching students about subjects like slavery.

"When you talk about slavery, students need to understand it is not our fault," she said. "Our ancestors did nothing wrong to be enslaved.

"How do you work through that when the person teaching it is the same type of person who did the enslaving?"
    I guess using Hogan's guidelines teachers of early American history would have to prove their membership in the Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution before they could teach the subject for only they could understand the operession the colonists experianced. When the building of the Trans-continental railroad is taught a person of Chinese extraction would have to be brought in Etc., Etc.

Now there is valid reason for keeping this teacher in place. Seven years experience in teaching the subject. That would make him a very valuable asset in that classroom but the above statements quoted are as stupid as any I’ve ever heard and maybe, just maybe, this teacher would like to broaden his teaching experience by moving on to something else.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    This is so outrageous I can hardly respond!!!! Sadly, I can say I'm not surprised.

"How do you work through that when the person teaching it is the same type of person who did the enslaving?"
    Work through that????? My God!!! Boo hoo! Tell me....how DOES one work through such a thing??? I'd try to answer but I'm still trying to work my way through therapy over the guilt, shame, and confusion caused by knowing that there have been white slaves.

Law suites would be flying at the near mention of the same idea the other way around. This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps racial tensions high.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Old Fart
    I think a partial quote from an Eagles tune will fit nicely right about now...

You drag it around like a ball and chain
    You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
    You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
    Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
    Complain about the present and blame it on the past
    I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it
    Get over it
    All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
    Get over it, get over it

Get over it
    Get over it
    It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit
    Get over it, get over it
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Marvelous!

So perhaps we could take this to the next level:

Black only schools. White only schools...

But why stop there,

White only busses. Black only busses.

If I think about this a little longer I could devise a whole society based on racial segregation...

Something's nagging me from the back of my mind....

Can't think what bloke stuck at the top of column in Trafalgar Square could have to do with my vision for the perfect society though.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Originally posted here by steve.milner
    Marvelous!

So perhaps we could take this to the next level:

Black only schools. White only schools...

Well there is now a gay only school in new york...and Ihave been hearing rumbelings from the extream side of the black power movment to restart segragation.

This is absolutly nuts, your race has no effect on your ability to teach any subject.

On the slavery point, this is something I am getting sick of....you cannot dump all the blame on white amreicans, perhaps we should look at africa and see who was doing the selling of slaves to the Europeans and later american slave traders.

Banned
    True Bballad but at the same time it was the South Africans that is why there is such a strong hold of strong White's in South Africa.

Now UhHM

Here we go.

Now you want to get rid of all the problems that we are having. Simple I have an answer, why don't we just segregate the country I mean why stop with cities . This is How I see it everything west of Winnipeg goes Whites and eveything else to the east goes to blacks so what forget about the fact that there are other races in this place. Now if you don't like that one I got a better one for you this is what you do. You take all the people in the country that are not pure 100% there race and kill them. If your not pure then you don't deserve to live, come on. Can't you see it mass Genocide. So bad Hitler would be proud.

I just don't understand how something so insignifcant as your race can be so Important. To some people.

That has actually made me mad.

Come on people we should be getting over this by now. I mean damn isn't 400 yrs long enough. Damn!

Oh yeah and if it is offensive for Whites to teach slavery what about, real American History. How the Indians got ****ed.

Whizkid2300

I have a headache.

Just so everyone know the aforementioned paragraph was from an extreme view. I do not think any of that would be wise.

Whizkid2300

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by bballad
    This is absolutly nuts, your race has no effect on your ability to teach any subject.
    You're right, this is nuts - All of this is stupid.

Let the teachers teach, regardless of race.

If they're no good them, then sack them.

I know we aren't going to change the ingrained opinions of people, but you would have thought that those people in positions of power - Elected politicians, school governors & heads would have the sense enough to put their individual predjudice to one side and just get on with things.

These people are meant to be blessed with at least a little intellgence, right?
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Elected politicians, school governors & heads would have the sense enough to put their individual predjudice to one side and just get on with things.

These people are meant to be blessed with at least a little intellgence, right?

...not if they are liberals.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

The sad problem is that there are still text books in the south that reinforce this:
    "When you talk about slavery, students need to understand it is not our fault," she said. "Our ancestors did nothing wrong to be enslaved. "
    I've even heard of one that says that the blacks were set free to govern themselves but they screwed it up sooo badly that they had to be brought back down again... It's just my feeling that wounds can't heal until they stop being reopened.

A people's history is a powerful thing, particularly when reinvented and used against them. I know this isn't likely the case in Oberlin, but as it is in other parts of our great and accepting nation, don't you think parents might be a little over protective of their children...

The issue tha they brought up was not a qualitive judgment "good enough" it was a mater of sensitivity. You figure that the guy making a stink is a college professor in the field, meaning he has dedicated his life to studying that field, that he would get passionate about his childrens education, and as he has had three pass through that school perhaps he noticed somthing not to his liking.

Anyway, there are more sides than any newspaper/media outlet is going to investigate and evenhandedly report back to us, and therefore I won't pass judgement.
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

Old Fart
    After watching a "debate" concerning this subject on Fox News today, I have come to the conclusion that racism is in part being kept alive by the very organizations set up to oppose it. If you think about it....if there were no racism (and I hope to live to see that day) we have NO USE for the NAACP.

My line of thinking revolves around statements made by an NAACP lawyer. The man was positively vehement about having first hand experience with racial profiling and racial discrimination as prerequisites for being qualified to teach black history. His line of thinking was that to teach black history one must be intimately aware of what it is like to be a black person today....wtf does that have to do with history??

If we follow this line of thinking, then only a native of France can teach french....since one must be french to identify with the french experience and be effective as a teacher.

Anyone care to tell me where I can find a NUMBER with it's teaching certificate? After all, only a number can be effective as a mathmatics instructor because PEOPLE can't relate to being a mathamatical unit and cannot teach the subject.

As a nation of educated, informed people we sure have some shining examples of ignorance that hopefully will remind us of just how far we have to go as a society.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...