Thread: Profiteering From Terrorist Attacks?

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Exclamation Profiteering From Terrorist Attacks?

A new Department of Defense program allows traders to bet on the likelihood of future terrorist attacks.
    Its not April 1st so it is't an "April Fool's Day" prank, but this can't be serious can it???

Read this article: WBAL Channel 11

You got to be kidding me.
    But you know the sad thing that I can actually believe it this govt. is very protifing oriented so that is a good way to make a couple bucks. Now the sad thing is that, I can honestly see someone planning a terrorist attack for money, Staight out of a Movie, but that can be seen.

Whizkid2300

LMFAO !!

Some of the examples listed on the agency's Web site include the assassination of Palestinian leader Yassar Arafat and a missile attack by North Korea. Bidders would profit if the events for which they hold futures occur.
    be quick in deciding though

Registration for the site begins Friday and will be limited to the first 1,000 traders. Actual trading will begin Sept. 1 and the Department of Defense plans to open the site to 10,000 traders by Jan. 1, 2004.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    So much for the web defacement or cross-site scripting ideas.

I just saw on the 12pm news on TV a story about this. They said that similar concepts have been used to fairly accurately predict things like elections and such and somehow some fu*ked up politician thought this was a good idea.

They pulled the plug quickly due to significant public backlash at the stupidity and implications of such an idea.

There was only one thing really stupid about the idea. And that's using real money. Everything else about it is just crazy enough to be cool.

I hope they make a version where players compete for hypothetical simulated cash. Now THAT would be a worthwhile and interesting experiment. Allow players to use certain amounts of cash (Simoleons?) to buy DARPA T-shirts and caps.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency