formating hd
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: formating hd

Question formating hd

ive been tryin to format the hd on my other box that i dont use anymore. when i try to format it, i get this this windows that says: "this drive cannot be formatted because it is not a fat32 drive." so how am i supposed to format it?
    c m i y c

Are you using the Win98 boot disk? What OS are you putting on the system? Are you partitioning the drive at all? Some more information would be helpful.

~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

AO Part Timer
    moving this threat might also be useful. It is audviously not a tutorial.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

if your using a windows bootdisk, run 'fdisk' first and remove all non-fat partitions, in actuallity i'd remove all partitions if you don't need to salvage any data. Then recreate one primary partition that uses the entire drive. Then you should be able to format it.
    ][ neta1o ][

dopeydadwarf I don't think anyone can move the thread but a mod now, so we will have to wait for MsMisttens or Negative or another one to move it (though I haven't really seen any other mods lately... what happened to them all?)

~AciD
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

AO Part Timer
    AciDriveHB

Agreed sir, perhaps my suggestion was a bit shallow. Let me spell it out. This thread should be moved to How do I ? perhaps. It doesn't belong in the tutorials. I am not going to throw any neg AP out.

c m i y c

You should contact Negative, or Ms Mittens and request that this thread be moved.

sorry for any confusion
    -Tiger Shark

I think your best option is to create a bootable disk with the utility 'fdisk' on it.
    (like mentioned by neta1o)
    Create a new partition table with this program, reboot and try to format again.
    If this does not work try to obtain a diagnostics disk from the hardware manufacturor. They usually offer them for download from their site.

Sidenote: Dopey: the 'how do I do' is a site related forum and this post should definatly not be in there. Perhaps in 'Hardware' or in 'General CC' (bah I hate correcting people)

AO Part Timer
    I stand corrected. Perhaps moved to hardware.
    Correcting people only allows the rest of the world to be on the same page as you. If somebody makes am honest mistake, then it should be corrected.
    -Tiger Shark

Banned
    *Moved from Tutorials... audviously not a tutorial *

Thanks Neg... always nice to see your green face around! heheh. I do totally agree with you dopeydadwarf, thanks for helping out.

c m i y c I would listen to what noODle said. If you are having problems using fdisk check out this link. I did a quick 1 minute search on google, but there are a ton of others out there.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [/shadow]