Server ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server ?

Server ?

I have a server question...
    I heard windows 2003 had a huge direct x flaw....
    i need to host a site (with a bit of bandwith transfer)
    any1 know a good OS for it (perferably a easy learning 1)?

Also a bit off topic, but is there a site out there describing p2p hacking and crashing ppl's comps. I find lots of website hacking but i wanna understand hacking p2p (if thats the right name) so i can protect my comp

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Try Red Hat Linux.

Download the ISOs from www.redhat.com & feed them in.

Get the docs, read & go.

It will take a few weeks to get used to it, but I fould the change from windoze fairly painless.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

thnx

what about my second question?
    i really need to protect my comp b4 i get a web server up

I'm assuming you are referring to this advisory: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-030.asp

For web serving, you'd not go wrong with a *nix based system (Red Hat as steve suggested) running Apache. But I don't know that I'd recommend it off the bat for a user unfamiliar with Linux. If I were unfamiliar with hosting and such, I'd go with a Windows based system - I'd go with W2K running IIS5.0 (fully patched, of course). From a security standpoint, as long as you stay on top with patch management and such, your server will be fairly well secure.
    - Maverick

yea i am

now that i know what system i should use, what sorta specs on my hardware.
    ppl will be downloading 5-100 meg files on a daily basis. I need to know how much ram, processor speed, and other stuff i need

thnx so much

The Recidivist
    Just a side thought. Most of the mirror's @ linuxiso.org are a lot faster download then RedHat.com

http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=7

They have RH 9 and RH 7.3 (a favorite among many) along with several others.

Check it out.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted here by id244161013111
    yea i am

now that i know what system i should use, what sorta specs on my hardware.
    ppl will be downloading 5-100 meg files on a daily basis. I need to know how much ram, processor speed, and other stuff i need

thnx so much

How much usage do you think this server is going to see? Are you expecting 5-10, 100, or more users per day? Obviously, the bigger and the fast the better, but if you are contemplating using an older box you have lying around, that's cool too. For whatever OS and web serving package you decide to go with, you'll need to be sure to at least meet it's minimum requirements. I don't know the exacts for a W2K system, but I'd say minimum 500/600MHZ, 256 MB RAM. If the server is going to be hammered with traffic, you're going to want a better machine. Further, you'll need a pretty good size hard drive for storage (sounds like you will be running an FTP server)..

well right now i get about 2000 downloads a month (of all the trailer cobined).
    daily i might get as much as 400meg transfer, and a weekly of 1.5 gig
    but on months i release a trailer it goes up 2 10 gig transfer for that month.

it won't all be used as a ftp, just i need this part coverd b4 i continue
    i tried comfiguring a dell server awhile back for 2grand 2.4 gighertz with like 2 gig of ram and 120 gig harddrive space but i didn't have the money and didn't really know if that was enough or way too much.

on a 1.5 gighertz and 1 gig of ram how fast would a person's download go if they were on dsl and so was the server? (i really need optimum online to get into my area b4 i get the server)

I would suggest a P2 or P3 maybe around 500MHz, and lots of ram i suppose if your going to be leaving this puppy on for long periods of time. And if you don't have the hard drives yet I'd suggest a couple Maxtor 40 gigs, those go for abouuuuutt. $90 - $120 bucks? Depending on how good of a shopper you are. If you live in the US a good site to visit would be www.pricewatch.com
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Ha, i got a 200 gig western digital for only 150$

what about rpms and ****?
    I'm thinking of getting 1 gig already in there and to add 1 gig of ram lata