linux install help :(

Thread: linux install help :(

linux install help :(

I installed Mandrake 9 to see what it was like but i decided to go install Slackware instead. I went thru all the stuff to install slackware but everytime it boots up it shows the Mandrake startup screen the freezes at:

Loading Linux ........................

it just freezes there i dont know what to do. could someone pleez help b/c i feel like a total dumbass.

From one drunk to another, before you tried to install Slackware did you boot to the Mandrake CD and remove the boot loader??

Some more info would help too, is this a dual boot, more then one hard drive, etc.

Mandrake has both Lilo and Grub ( donít remember which is default), Slackware Lilo. Which did you load with Mandrake?

from Mandrake's Quick Startup Guide How to Uninstall Linux
    Operating systems generally do not offer the possibility to uninstall themselves. Mandrake Linux is proud to offer you the liberty to do so. he uninstallation process consists of two steps:

1. Delete all partitions on your hard drive and replace them by a single FAT partition with DiskDrake.
    2. Uninstall the bootloader (generally grub) from the Master Boot Record (MBR). To do so, boot under DOS and run the fdisk /mbr command.

If you have another OS, please consult its documentation to determine how to perform the same step.

Goodbye, and thank you for using Mandrake Linux!
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

it IS a single OS system i just tried to install Slackware over mandrake ill try what u suggested and thanks.

Ok, when you were installing slackware, did you see the screen about installing LiLO? at that screen you shoudv told it to go on the MBR of the machine (it says something about it being maybe dangerouse but its not) what Im thinking is you told it to go somewhere else so the MBR Mandrake left behind is still there.

yea thats probably it thanks im gonna try it again later tonite. Thanks

NP man After you get things sorted out, enjoy Linux With the amount of people we have at AO that use Linux and specialize in distros I think were good at helping people out. So to AO give yourself a pat on the back.

After you try out slackware Id like to recommend SuSE Linux to you. 8.1 is still avaliable and 8.2 is out now too. I use 8.2 now but started with 8.1 andwas amazed. I think youd like it alot. and I dont think there is anyone at this site that can say something very bad about SuSE. It cant be beaten with features that are included on the install media. and it cant be beaten with games either (yes I AM a SuSE fan ) Id love it if they hired me. man that would rock. heh. ok Ill shut up now lol.

Yea i have SuSe installed another comp (v8.1) i have 5 computers at the moment 4 of them run linux (im just starting out which explains the lack of knowledge) I just cant use it much until i get another monitor.