Thread: Redhat 9.0

Redhat 9.0

Hello Friends,
    I was attempting to mount my Win Xp file system (hdb1) and it is NTFS. Upon this mount, it states the 'ntfs' is not a supported file system. Interesting because the MAN file states that it is supported. Am I doing something wrong?

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

NTFS Support for RedHat 7.3, 8.0 and 9 (Shrike)
    Due to legal worries, the kernel that RedHat installs doesn't support NTFS. You can download an RPM (Software Package) to provide NTFS support. The RPM comes with detailed instructions.
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

As far as I know write support is STILL considered experimental and dangerous, and
    from Linux NTFS RedHat Page
    The driver in these modules is read-only.
    But as far as read support goes, quoting my own web page Customizing the RedHat install at WinXP and RedHat 9.0 duel boot
    ( still trying to plug that damn thing hoping more people will get something out of it )
    ... RedHat source has ntfs support built into the source, you do NOT have to patch it ( but not their pre-built kernels ) ...
    If you are comfortable building a kernel, I think that’s the way to go. You can still keep it all RedHat and get your ntfs read capabilities, and get a custom kernel to boot ( *nix humor ), just remember to enable it during the build. If not maybe it is time to dive into building your own kerenl, or try the RPMs at the link phishphreek80 recomended.

( by the way, I do not remember the prior kernel sources, but the latest as of this post, RedHat kernel-source-2.4.20-19.9.i386.rpm also alows you to enable write to ntfs, but I would not do it )

Hope this helps

( Oh, If you find something missing or confusing on my site, if you happen to read it, PM me and I try to make it clearer )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Alrighty,
    I loaded the RPM's for my kernel and everything works. Except that if I want 'read' it I have to be 'root'. I tried to change the permissions but it said some crap about it being a 'read-only blah blah'. Does anyone know why it won't allow more user access. My guess is the ntfs module doesn't support it or something...

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

Yep, I had the same problem until some folks on freenode irc helped me out.
    Try mounting the drive with this line, Any user should be able to access the drive with it

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows -o umask=000

The /mnt/windows should be changed into what ever you usally mount the drive to

Hope it helps!

Hmm..is VFat just a type of FAT partition that contains all types above 16? Because I know redhat9 only supports FAT partitions up to 16, and windows refers to FAT32 partitions as such, yet when referred to as VFat in linux, it is mountable.

Just a word of advice. I have mounted ntfs drives on linux as read only due to the fact that one time I decided to write to that partition and data went kaput. I had it backed up. It is what I advise you to do as well. Back up your data when trying to read and write to ntfs from linux as a user before stated it is still experimental.