Thread: how do I change my default OS boot sequence

Unhappy how do I change my default OS boot sequence

I had win 98 on my pc and I recently installed Win 2000 on a different partition. So now Win 2000 starts by defalult. I want Win 98 to start by default. Please help me if someone know how to do it.

Banned
    First, go to your system properties (Windows key + Pause). Go to the advanced tab, then click on the "Startup and Recovery..." button at the bottom. Change the setting for "Default operating system" to the second, working, option. Reboot.

If this makes it default to the correct menu item and it boots into Windows just fine without you having to do anything, go back to the Startup and Recovery options and uncheck the option that says "Display list of operating systems for [x] seconds."

also in windows Xp i dont know if the command work in 2000 ...open ms-dos and type in bootcfg /default /ID 1 or 2 ...depends which os u want to use ...type bootcfg /default /? for more commands and help...

Banned
    may be in bios??
    just a thought

Nightfalls_Girl

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Go into your c:\ directory and look for a hidden and system only file named boot.ini.
    It should look something like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

What you should do (i think, its been a while), is just add the following line to the bottom.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 98se"

That should allow you to choose which starts up.

cheers..
    xmaddness