MSN Users Warned of Malicious Virus

Thread: MSN Users Warned of Malicious Virus

MSN Users Warned of Malicious Virus

Beware MSN users.

Ahnlab, an Internet security firm, yesterday issued an alert to MSN Messenger users about infection by the malicious computer virus called ``Trojan Horse.ĄŻĄŻ

The virus is spreading across the Internet through the instant messaging service, which has some 5 million users. The virus becomes activated when the user downloads a file contained in a message which reads, ``ĄŠ would like to send you the file, sins.exe.ĄŻĄŻ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A growing number of infection cases are being reported in South Korea since the first case was reported on Tuesday afternoon, the company said.

No infection case has been detected outside South Korea so far.

Ahnlab said the origin of the computer virus is likely to be in South Korea as it is the only country reported to be affected by the worm
    source here : http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech...6295412350.htm
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Old Fart
    Any idiot who accepts a file from someone they do not know deserves whatever they get....thanks for the heads up!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Allenb is quite right...............and an executable file at that!!!.................if you get a file from someone you don't know..............just delete it; unless you have a "sacrificial goat" machine that you are prepared to run viruses on to see what they do.

If you get an executable file from someone you know, and they don't tell you all about what it is, and why they sent it...assume that it is a virus.

If you really "must" open a questtionable file, at least rename it to a .txt extension and open it in wordpad or notepad (NOT Write or Word!!!)

Be safe:stay safe

Cheers

Even if you know the person, you should download files you dont know why you're receiving. Damn those files with multiple extensions to delete hell on sight. Ty for the warning

Banned
    Originally posted here by allenb1963
    Any idiot who accepts a file from someone they do not know deserves whatever they get....thanks for the heads up!!
    Actually you seem to be compairing this to mIRC worms which use script.ini (mirc scripts) to replicate then maybe even flood a little. And since most of the time your connecting to channels with maybe 100s of peaple you've never seen/chated with before then yes it would be dumb to leave auto-get on and download whatever pops up in the room. But with MSN-messenger the victums would be a little more personal because peaple often have to be invited into conversation rather than random peaple coming in and out of rooms. Hell... who knows how many family members, friends, & peaple I occasionally hangout with which are on my buddie list.

Also I don't think they "Deserves whatever they get" mainly because the world is filled with so many worms that mail themselves or copy themselves to FTP directories that peaple are often brainwashed into forgeting about other ways they could replicate & because alot of peaple are computer illiterates who have no idea how easy it is to pull a few MSN API and do fun stuff with it... hell most won't even know what a API is . Anyways since they don't know about these things in their minds they would be thinking more along the lines of (how would a worm fool with MSN?) (thats impossable!) (It can't be malware... I trust this guy!). Hehe...

Exclamation

See also this info page on the Symantec site

also this Thread

Please not this is for info only (not as a negetive comment)

Thanks Null for the extra info..

the trouble is when it comes to MSN Messenger.. You have one major security problem..(after MSN).. most users are hormone driven 13-16 yr old's and the odd tech head on a lark.. the script kiddy fires the file into the loop.. ... of course mum and dad computer owner don't know how to use the computer.. allow the kids to use the machine as admin.. ......
    .... and und3rtak3r earns another $100 (thats aussi dollars.. to convert to USD.. USD=(AUD/2)*phase_of_the_moon+(rand(0-1.5)/(phase_of_the_moon))..)
    You are not talking about a class of ppl who have an IQ level (sorry to the site members who are in this age group).. they have an HQ level (hormone Quotent.. ).. that act then may think.. or Whatever
    BTW.. the said member of the vulnerable group who is a member of our household.. is a limited user..only.. and knows the real reason I am und3rtak3r..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

soory und3rtak3r i dint knew u have already posted it. i choose this heading so as to convey the message as far as possible. i seriously doubt how mant ppl read heads up....but i was sure that this will catch the attantion and would enlighten some.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

most users are hormone driven 13-16 yr old's and the odd tech head on a lark
    they have an HQ level (hormone Quotent.. ).. that act then may think.. or Whatever
    hehe, I'm a 15 year old. Most of my friends just download every attachment they get to their computer, whoever it comes from. It's very easy to mess up their computer if you want.

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike. - The Conscience of a Hacker(The Mentor)
    In fact this is true, all they do is play videogames and they think they know something about computers lol.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I bet that someone will open it get infected and come here asking how do I delete it.