Newbie in need of help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie in need of help

Newbie in need of help

I am just starting out and ive done a fair share of reading, etc. but i havent found anything on hacking a mainframe running os/390, or anything of the sort. I was wondering if maybe someone knew a reasource or could help me out. And if you have any tips on begining to hack im all ears

Thanks

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Newbie in need of help

Originally posted here by gnat
    I am just starting out and ive done a fair share of reading, etc. but i havent found anything on hacking a mainframe running os/390, or anything of the sort. I was wondering if maybe someone knew a reasource or could help me out. And if you have any tips on begining to hack im all ears Thanks
    http://www.hackingamainframerunningos/390.ac.uk

http://www.beginingtohack.net

http://www.imallears.de

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/s390/os390/
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Re: Newbie in need of help

I am just starting out and ive done a fair share of reading, etc. but i havent found anything on hacking a mainframe running os/390, or anything of the sort. I was wondering if maybe someone knew a reasource or could help me out. And if you have any tips on begining to hack im all ears

Thanks

Ummm why are we hacking this mainframe... or would want to hack it? Are you the sys admin of the mainframe? Has this system been hacked before? Maybe if you gave us some more detail on why this whole venture we could help you better.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Banned
    Ok give the guy a break he didn't even say that much wrong. He has one post under his belt give him a sec. Now I will say that you might want to read the FAQ. Hey I go t a question is it possible for it to be set up that you have to read the FAQ'S I mean come on this is getting crazy.

Dude read the FAQ and we will see if you stil want to ask that question.

What have you read?

Whizkid2300

I know whizkid2300 that this person is new.... that's why I just posted some questions to help get the story out. Maybe there is a legit reason, and it just needs to be stated more clearly. I only neg those who have been here for a little bit and are still asking stupid questions. I learned my lesson a long time ago.

~AciD
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

okay ill see if this turns out better than my first post

i want to hack THIS mainframe becuase its part of the sofware company my dad works for, and i know everyone at the company and that they dont care if i hack it. I thought it would be a good place to learn.

No it has not been hacked before to my knowledge, and im guessing its because there are less than 100 people at the company and nothing of intrest on the machines

All i know about the architextre is that it is in front of the firewall

As for what ive read, its been every text file on hackers.com, along with others i just ran across. I also found a lot of clips from the book hacking exposed, but dont have the money to actullay buy it.

k......why not just setup a linux box on your local lan? then you could hack it to your heats content. Hell you could throw that puppy in the shower with the water running if you really wanted to. If this company has arount 100+ people I'm sure one of them will care if you hack there network. Maybe I'm just taking this the wrong way...
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    okay ill see if this turns out better than my first post

i want to hack THIS mainframe becuase its part of the sofware company my dad works for, and i know everyone at the company and that they dont care if i hack it. I thought it would be a good place to learn.
    Does your dad own the company?

I guess if he doesn't and you do manage to hack the mainframe, resulting in a DoS or similar then that is going to have a financial impact on the company - You could go to gaol for this, your dad could get fired.

Please think about this.

The other problem, gnat, is that we don't know if you're teling us the truth either.

Even if you are, the I don't think anyone here should sensibly be posting a 'how to hack a mainframe' tutorial.

Do you?
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Banned
    Maybe you should read up on what OS/390 exactly is... It's an OS, yes, but it's much more than that. TexAS400 has some pretty good AS/400 tutorials. You can sign up for the tutorials, and if you want, you can even download a Windows-client that'll allow you to directly connect to an AS/400 located in Dallas, TX.
    The chance you'd ever even get close to 'your dad's company mainframe' is close to nihil, let alone that you'd even know how to log on to OS/390...

Post Informational...

Good thoughts... IT's true though you don't want to go around hacking other people's systems to learn stuff, that's the fast track to jail. If you, and even other people in your community, are interested in learning how to test security and such... do like r3fus3d said and setup your own machine to crack into. That way you know you won't go to jail, no one will loose their jobs, and everything will be fine. Plus doing it that way you can learn about different operating systems, not just how to crack into them but how to correctly configure them so NO ONE can get into them. Maybe years down the road you might really be interested in this sort of thing and stay with it to get a job as a SysAdmin (hopefully not like the one gore talks about) or a Network Admin at some big company... all because of your experience and knowledge you learned way back in the day. Or maybe then after years and years of schooling you might get a job for a company where you always try to crack into their system. They would know, you would know what you're doing, and then that would be ok.

"Hacking" is not a term you want to go around telling everyone that you are doing, because that's another way to end up in jail... or at least always have the police knocking on your door whenever systems get broken into. You don't want a bad rap before you even get into the big picture of using computers. For the fact that you may really never get a chance to play with them much if your always suspect #1 in police investigations.

I'm not trying to scare you here, but I'm just trying to let you in on a little truth. People care when their systems get broken into, and if someone was breaking into your system you would care right?

Just say what if you got into your dad's mainframe computer at work, then what would you do? What if you hit the wrong key and took out the account records, or other important documents... then what? Hacking into a system, even if it's owned by a friend... unless it's a junk machine setup for you to play with, you could do damage and that would have bad results in the end.

In closing, I would like to leave you with some links to check out...

Wanna be a hacker?

Very informational

And I can't seem to find a good link on honeypots right now, but check out AO and google for information on a honeypot. Maybe that is something you would think of setting up.

But most of all, stay on AO and learn. That sounds like what you are after is information, and there is a ton of it here and on the net. Always go ahead and ask questions, just make sure you word the questions better. And please, try not to ask how to hack things, but more of the understand of why thigns (like firewalls and such) have holes and how to fix them and protect your computer.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [/shadow]