Slackware desktop help.

Thread: Slackware desktop help.

Question Slackware desktop help.

Hey thanks to the hlep of some nice folks here i was able to get slackware installed. But i have another problem it boots up as root into a command style interface ive tried "xwmconfig" command but to no avail. Is there something i did wrong? It works just fine but im being weened off of windows so i like the gui. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Type this "whereis xwmconfig" and you will find the aswer
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Maybe i wrote it wrong i got the wmxconfig command to work but after i select gnome it just goes back to the prompt?

You need to have a desktop manager selected in rc.conf. Su to root and edit "/etc/rc.conf" You should find two important entries. One is your boot runlevel, set that to 5, and the other is your X Display Manager, that you should set to whatever you have installed, either XDM or KDM. If Slackware is at all cool, they should have rc.conf heavily commented.
    <EDIT>
    Note the difference between your display manager and window manager. They are NOT the same.
    </EDIT>

The way X Windows works is that at boot, init starts XFree86 and then switches to runlevel 5 (maybe not in that order, but i dont care...). Then Xfree86 launches the Display Manager selected in rc.conf. The DM loads the login screen. There you choose your "session type" or your Window manager, that would be XWM, KDE, Gnome, etc. Then the DM loads the WM and tada, you have a graphical interface.
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision

Thanks for all the help but i couldnt find rc.conf do i have to make one? and if so whats the format.