Help Loggin out of KDE to CLI

Thread: Help Loggin out of KDE to CLI

Smile Help Loggin out of KDE to CLI

I'm hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I just recently installed a new motherboard in my system and reinstalled my operating systems (Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 9.1) due to a electrical problem here at my house. One thing I'm a little hazy on is logging out of KDE in Mandrake straight to a CLI interface so I can install my nVidia video drivers. When I attempt to install the drivers from within KDE it says I cannot be in X while installing the drivers. I also tried to open a terminal and SU root but no dice. My question is this:

How do I log out of KDE to a CLI so I can install my video drivers without having to reboot my system?

Any help the fine folks at Antionline can give me would be great. Thanks.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

ctrl alt backspace should do it
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

To close your x server and return to a command line interface, you can either click on the KDE icon and then click logout, or do control+alt+backspace.

That'll do the trick.

--PuRe www.pureescape.net <<~~~ go there now, or get beaten silly.
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Damn

The ctrl+alt+backspace didn't work. It just returns me to my graphical login screen. Wacky.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

hmm , strange i would try changing you .xinitrc file in your home directory ( put # infront of startkde or exec gnomesession ) and reboot or drop to single user and back up or try from a terminal init 3 <~~might not be right(its been a while since i used linux) the command man init will explain it
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

The Nvidia shell script from the site is awesome. Open a terminal and su to root if your not logged in as root already. type init 3 and hit enter, youll go into text mode. then type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run and hit enter again. itll ask if you accept the license bla bla bla hit accept and after a while itll be done. if you wanna go back to the GUI type init 5.