Thread: Good Site for Newbies

Thumbs up Good Site for Newbies

I've been into this whole security/hacking thing for years now and still consider myself a newbie. Below is a link to the Happy Hacker site, where a bunch of my hacking/security questions were initially answered. I haven't visited it for a few years or so because for the longest time nothing new was posted on it. But after reading an article on WiFi hacking that someone had linked in a post here, re-realized the site's worth. For my fellow newbies out there, if your confused, lost, and don't know where to start, this is a good place...

www.happyhacker.org

It's got everything from texts for the absolute beginner on up to more advanced security/hacking topics. To really learn a bunch more, consider checking out Carolyn's two books, "The Happy Hacker" (which I have) and "Uberhacker" (which I want to get).

Good luck to all,
    alph

I agree this site has helped me alot also. Uberhacker is a good book it expands on happy hacker and starts on a few new subjects as well as including references to many sites and books along the way that will help you on your quest to knowledge.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

What about the er, younger of us. I read a lot of material everyday from here to Phrack, but that is online. I am not so sure my parents would let me purchase it. I would not even mind paying the money. I find it a bit hard to be young.

The names are misleading. They dont really teach you ways to hack. They are informative and will give you a starting ground into computers and how the internet works. Go to the site read some of the stuff. Keep your parents in the loop and make sure that they know and trust you that you arent going to misuse the knowledge that you will learn and begin to grasp. The site also has some more info about getting your parents to understand but as you can see im not the greatest at explaining it.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Originally posted here by PM8228
    What about the er, younger of us. I read a lot of material everyday from here to Phrack, but that is online. I am not so sure my parents would let me purchase it. I would not even mind paying the money. I find it a bit hard to be young.
    Well, a lot of what in the Happy Hacker book can be found online. "Uberhacker" has some stuff from it, but now a whole lot.

But this post brings me to something I should have said in my initial post... These books aren't going to teach you everything there is to know about security/hacking. No book could, or if it did, it would be thicker than a phone book, using those super-thin sheets. All these books are probably meant to do is to give a newbie type a place to start. I remember when I first got interested, I had a whole bunch of "how" type questions. Carolyn's stuff help to clear a lot of those initial questions up, but only to make room for new ones. Damn this never ending thing called learning... :-)

I'd definitely agree that some or Carolyn Meinel's books are worth a read. I'm reading one of her older happy hacker books at the moment and it's full of really useful info. I'd recommend reading them if like myself you are a newb.

PM8228 I used to be young

Don't worry about it...the "oldest" you can be is wanting to learn....that's what's called real mature............................shame that a lot of oldsters my age aren't like that huh?

cheers

yes good site

helped a lot to me
    Thanks for sharing
    Sudeep

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GCS d- s+:+ a-- C+++ UL++ P L++ E-- W+++ N+ o++ K- w
    O-- M V PS+ PE+ Y PGP++ t- 5 X R* tv- b+ DI- D---
    G++ e+++ h r+ y
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Decode Geek Code
    http://www.geocities.com/sphinx_gel/geek.html

I payed £50 for hack attacks revealed, and then my computer broke and wasnt fixed for a few months, in this time I stopped reading the book and moved on to other things, hmmmmm if i carried on reading it maybe I myself would be a hacker. But hey, that's life